Kinetico / water questions

Old 06-01-08, 09:09 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinetico / water questions

I have a few questions about the kinetico systems.
3 bath house 3 people residing there
5-6 Grains hard
240 tds
8 Ph

I believe .03 iron I am not sure of the decimal point placement

Pink film in toilets.
No odor
hot or cold
Tank set to 140F
Only visible iron staining is in the washing machine soap dispenser/Bleach?
10 GPM flow rate

Toilet tanks have no iron discoloration except the bacteria.
Iron showed up pinker in test when the water came from the toilet tank and not the tap.

Slight methane issue. Worse spring fall time frame.
the water looks like seltzer when drawn. Clears quickly.
I have ignited the gas .

OK, Kinetico recommended the 2060 with a 5 disc and an RO.
Aeration chamber for the methane also. The salesman stated that removing the iron will stop feeding the bacteria and no more bacteria.
what stops the from living on the softener? The salesman said the little build up there would be backwashed away. Will this work? I am considering pyrolox-Birm-KD85 (NO GREEN SAND). To many choices. I have read myself into confusion.
I want to avoid chlorine injection. I am not opposed to an air injection system. I do not know the DO level.

I have also been told that a carbon block filter will help with the methane. Is this accurate?

If I do not go the Kinetico route I am very capable of installing any system that is recommended so I am looking for all options. Least amount of maintenance being the preference. I also need a UV Light recommendation.
Many thanks to everyone who contributes to these forums the knowledge around here is priceless.
Tim

Old 06-02-08, 08:00 PM
A
Originally Posted by TUO NORI View Post
OK, Kinetico recommended the 2060 with a 5 disc
I don't buy that for a moment. 5-6 gpg and put it on a disk #5. Absolutely, wrong! Something is missing or someone is not being honest/knowledgable. This would represent a great misapplication of the softener.

Review the recommendation again and get back with me.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 06-02-08, 09:04 PM
T
Andy,
I will get the spec from them and get back to you. The way it was explained to me was the disk is set to the hardness level and the valve is set to 3 lbs salt. Does this make sense?
I am leaning to a Birm unit with an air pump and a vent tank plumbed outside due to methane.
My big concern is the iron bacteria and its effect on the birm.
Tim

Old 06-19-08, 05:05 AM
T
Andy,
I have learned more about the suggested system settings. The salesman made several wrong statements when he was at my house. He did not know how the disk were set up. The disk would have been set on 1 with 3lbs salt.

I have since aquired a 2040 overdrive system. Does the 2060 unit do a better job on iron? Would I be better of with the resin and tanks from a 2060?
My salesman also stated that Kinetico never needs iron out salt yet the manual on the 2040 suggest using it. Would you recommend the use of iron out? I was planning on using Pottasium and not salt.

Do I need to change any settings to use pottasium?
Is there a parts and service manual available for these units?
Have you had any experience with iron bacteria and these units? how do they cope?

Tim

Old 06-20-08, 05:01 AM
A
A correction on your setting for the 2060. You would be on a disk 1 but your salt setting would be only 2.7 lbs. It would regenerate every 1250 gallons at 4,622 grains per pound of salt (high efficiency).

You were asking about iron removal and salt additives. First of all, your salt is more likely to be 0.3ppm and not 0.03pmm as a home test probably wouldn't be able to test that low. Not 3.0ppm, right?

At iron that low, don't use iron-out salt. Its powerful additives can be 'abrasive' to the resins if iron is not present in substantial amounts. If you had much higher levels of iron, then it would be recommended. The salesman was right with your water. The 2060 does do a better job with iron if levels were substantial.

Since you have a 2040, you have an excellent machine and that is what I would recommend for your water concerns. You would be on a disk 1 and regenerate every 650, using one pound of salt with a salt efficiency of 5,222 grains per gallons (very high efficiency). It will use only 7 gallons of water and take 11 minutes. Use a prefilter of around 20 microns!

I would recommend against using potassium these days as there is rarely a need. The price of potassium has skyrocketed to unreasonalbe rates (biodiesel industry demands). The settings would need to change slightly for optimum efficiency needing a little more per regeneration.

What evidence do you have of bacterial iron?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 06-20-08, 06:13 AM
T
Andy,
The bacterial iron shows up in the toilet tank. We have a reddish sludge build up. Not a real annoyance but we get a plug in the refill valve orifice once in a while. .3 iron is correct. We tested the toilet tank water to get that reading the supply water was less. The only indication of iron we have is in the washing machine soap dispenser. Will the water feel less slippery if we use potassium? Do you think the bacteria will fowl the resin? This is an overdrive system. Besides flow rate are there any benefit to running both tanks instead of alternating tanks?. Do you know where I could get a parts and service manual for the 2040. How difficult is it to convert the unit to larger tanks and
alternate them? I also have a slight methane issue that shows up in the spring and fall. The rep said they would use an aeration tank(Kinetico aeration retention system) to vent the methane. Wouldn't this oxidize the iron and make it difficult for the softener to do its job. I was thinking of adding a Birm filter before the softener. Any opinion on this?
Thank you
Tim
Tim

Old 06-20-08, 10:39 AM
T
Edit option

I do not see an edit option but foul would be a much better choice then FOWL.
Tim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: