Blue Stains around toilets.

Old 06-02-08, 11:58 AM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Stains around toilets.

I have a well system using an Autotrol 155 Valve/460MP water softener. We have lived in this house for 10 years and don't know when this softener was installed. We have performed no maintenance other than adding salt. In the past year the blue stains have appeared. I have performed a water quality test for PH, Total Alkalinity, Chlorine, Hardness, Iron, Copper and Nitrates. According to the color charts everything is ok. The well does not have any filters or prefilters. Could this be maintenance is required or I need to replace the resin?? The well and the house are 30 years old.

Old 06-02-08, 07:55 PM
A
Do you have copper plumbing?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 06-03-08, 10:09 AM
H
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Do you have copper plumbing?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
Yes, I have copper plumbing that is why I did the water test because I thought the water was to acidic and was eating away my copper plumbing.

Old 06-03-08, 01:48 PM
A
You didn't say what you pH was. If your water is neutral or basic, then maybe your plumbing needs to be grounded. Electrolysis can cause copper plumbing to leach copper and results can be the bluish colors you are describing.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 06-03-08, 02:12 PM
H
You didn't say what you pH was. If your water is neutral or basic, then maybe your plumbing needs to be grounded. Electrolysis can cause copper plumbing to leach copper and results can be the bluish colors you are describing.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
The PH was neutral. I think you may have hit something here because when I look at the copper pipes all over the house they appear to have greenish spots all over them which concerns me. What would you recommend I ground them to? Would the hot water heater work and ground both pipes to the electrical equipment ground on top of the heater? Thanks for your help!

Old 06-03-08, 04:11 PM
A
You can get a grounding wire at a plumbng supply store. Locate a 'ground'. Sometimes you can see one outside your house; a braided wire going into the ground.

Be sure to cross with then cable anywhere where the plumbing is seperated by plastic or some other non-conducting material.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 06-03-08, 05:26 PM
H
You can get a grounding wire at a plumbng supply store. Locate a 'ground'. Sometimes you can see one outside your house; a braided wire going into the ground.

Be sure to cross with then cable anywhere where the plumbing is seperated by plastic or some other non-conducting material.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Thank you Andy for all your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: