Water Softener Advice Needed

Old 06-10-08, 07:51 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Softener Advice Needed

First, I know almost nothing about plumbing and water softeners. However, I've done a lot of reading lately and hope I'm ready to ask these questions.

I had a company (WaterLine Technologies) test my water. The results are:
Hardness: 5 grains per gallon
Total Alkalinity: 16 grains per gallon
pH: 8.0
Free Chlorine: 0
Iron: 0
TDS: 550 PPM
Silica: 15 PPM
Total Chlorine: 1 PPM

Household Make Up:
6 People
2 Full Baths
City water with good flow rate
(I did not measure the flow rate, but we have great water pressure).

The complany then recommended the Pura-Tech PT-E5100 Whole House Water Treatment System. $1400 installed.
System looks nice, but almost no information on the web about Pura-Tech.

Question 1)
With the above hardness and pH level, do I need a water softener? Or would a whole house water filter be a better solution? (note: I'm not happy with the taste of my current water and the depots it leaves on the chrome fixtures).

Question 2)
Anyone have experience with Pura-Tech Softners? And is $1400 installed a reasonable price?

Question 3)
I hear everyone talking about Flech control values. So if I go with a Fleck system, which one do you recommend. Also, how do I find a Fleck water system? Finding someone selling Culligan or Kenmore is easy. But in central Ohio, where do I find someone selling/servicing Fleck systems?

Thanks
(If I can provide any more details, please let me know).

Old 07-16-08, 08:14 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pura-Tech 5100

I have a 5100 and it has been a great softener. You may not even need a softener, a good filter and maybe a reverse osmosis system would work for you. I don't like the taste of water through the softener and plumbed a seperate water line to the kitchen sink. It had the softener installed a few years ago and it cost around $1,400. I hope this helps. Also GOOGLE Pura-Tech, I think you can download the manual.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: