magnetic water softeners: will they help my dry/itchy skin?

Old 06-17-08, 03:00 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
magnetic water softeners: will they help my dry/itchy skin?

Hi. I live in London and I've just moved into a new flat. The water here is very hard and makes my skin itch after a shower. I've been thinking about buying a pair (or two) of those magnetic water softeners/conditioners because I cannot afford to have a normal softener system installed. Anyone had any experience with those magnetic ones? Do they work? Where should I install them? Only on the pipe in my flat or also in the hall of the building (there are 3 flats in our victorian building and there are water pipes downstairs too)... PLEASE help! xxx

Old 06-17-08, 11:36 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Save your money. While there are some pulsed electromagnetic systems that work within very strict parameters on industrial cooling water systems there are NO magnetic solutions that are applicable to residential water systems.

The industrial systems have an installed cost in excess of $15,000 US and as I wrote, will NOT work in a residential system.

Old 06-19-08, 06:03 AM
K
so why?

thanks a lot for your reply. What I do not understand is WHY are there so many people who buy these things on e-bay and leave positive feedback? Is it just a scam? anybody tried?

here they are:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Magnetic-Water...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 06-19-08, 09:18 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
According to the calculator I used 7 Pounds Sterling is a bit less than $14. US. I would think that cheap enough to take a chance.

However, when any of these magnetic schemes have been subjected to controlled laboratory testing the results have always come back that the magnetic devices are ineffective.

Scam? I think so. And just for information, I worked for more than thirty years in power plant engineering. We spent hundreds of thousands of dollars every year in chemically treating water and if there had been any truth to the "magnetic treatment" theories we would have jumped on it in a minute.

Old 06-19-08, 10:15 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I send clients here for additional information when I observe these installed during home inspections.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: