Wet Salt, Lots Of Water On Top Of Salt. Help !

Old 06-20-08, 09:02 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wet Salt, Lots Of Water On Top Of Salt. Help !

WET SALT, LOTS OF WATER ON TOP OF SALT. HELP !

OK, I'm not panicking. I am totally new to this water softener thing, but have been reading a lot of the helpful postings, from a lot of the helpful pros on this forum. Moved to Kansas in Dec. 2007. Everyone has a water softener. I have a water softener (Kenmore Deluxe Demand Water Softener, Model #625.348570, Serial Number: #4472). It was already installed in the house. I have salt (Morton Rust Remover Super Pellets). 2 un-opened bags are resting beside the water softener. Today, I used a long wooden dowel to try to break up what I think is a salt bridge. I worked the dowel as deep into the salt as I could. It offered substantial resistance. I could not get the dowel down to the last 4 inches of the bottom. Seems something hard is down there. When I started with the dowel, the salt on top was dry. After removing the dowel, some water began to weep up through the hole left by the dowel. Initially, the tank had about 1/3 salt level. Now it has a little less that 1/2 water and pellet level.
Kindly recall--I am a total rookie re. water softeners, so I have 2 questions, one general, and one specific.
1. What now ?
2. What is the very, very best salt to use, ie. name brand, type, etc.

Again, thanks.

PS. I plan on next week taking this machine into my driveway, and cleaning it out--garden hose, dental pics, backhoe, whatever. I hope that's the right thing to do.

Old 06-23-08, 08:48 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
possible issues

My Kenmore started filling with water and I found a leak where the bypass attaches to the softener. Common problem according to the parts folks. The PVC can develop hairline cracks. Also the o-rings wear out. I managed to kill my electonics so I moving on to a Fleck valve system.

Anyway check for leaks around the fitting on the back of the unit and check the float valve to make sure it is not stuck. Manuals can be downloaded online if you don't have one. Oh yeah there is a venturi that needs to be cleaned out occasionally.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: