Old 07-08-08, 09:02 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iron Bacteria and Kinetico 2060S

Possible Numbers:

Hardness: 16
Iron: < 0.5ppm
pH: 7.0

Water has a slight yellow color. There is somewhat of a sulfur smell with hot water, never with cold water.

I have seen a great deal of information on this site and I think I have some good knowledge to base my questions on, so bear with me.

We had our water tested by two water companies in our area. Without a doubt we have seriously hard water, I believe one gentlemen said we have a rating of 16 for hardness. This finding was not surprising seeing as we see plenty of scaling and buildup on fixtures.

What was surprising is that one person showed us that we had iron bacteria (he did the toilet tank test) and that we needed a chlorination device inline with a water softener.

The other guy (Kinetico Rep) didn't seem to take notice of the iron bacteria; he just stated that we have iron in the water. Although when he did his iron test it showed

Old 07-09-08, 05:02 AM
A
Originally Posted by sublemon View Post
My questions are: Do we need to chlorinate our water? If so, do we add a dechlorinator or just let our filter system take care of it? Also, if we do chlorinate and use the Kinetico 2060S with out a dechlorinate how will the resin in the filter hold up.
Depending on the severity of your bacterial iron, a chlorination system may not be needed. You can shock the well and monitor results. If you need to shock the well over and over, then, yes, a more permanent solution is needed.

The iron bacteria is treatable. I would try the well chlorination first.

Your softener will work well with your conditions. The prefilter will indicate if your well continues to produce bacterial iron. Softeners can also be sanitized but should be done rarely. The softener is not a "filter" and should not be considered or treated as one.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 07-09-08, 06:07 AM
S
Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply AndyC. That is good information to know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: