Installing a Softener Outside??

Old 08-06-08, 08:56 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing a Softener Outside??

I'm new to this forum, and what a great resource! I've been learning about water softeners as we're planning on purchasing one soon. We're looking seriously at the Fleck 5600 SE, and I was wondering about installation location. Is it okay to install this outside next to our garage? We live in central Texas, so we have some cold days in the winter, but not like up north, though occasionally it does freeze. Would this be safe with an insulated cover? I would hate for it to freeze and split the tank, but we can save some money by installing outside versus inside. (We have an in-ground sprinkler system, and never had a problem with it freezing. I don't believe the ground actually freezes either.)

Any advice or opinions about this would be great. Thanks ahead of time!

Old 08-07-08, 06:28 AM
A
Freezing is a universal problem with outdoor installations. A cover may help but I would not find it comforting when not home and wacthing weather reports of 'unseasonably cold'.

Some people build a leanto or shed to house the unit. This can provide other benefits too. It helps keep UV light off the unit and prevents other environmental damage. I sapce heater can be added to take the edge off. And it can be used for addtional storage. Is this a possibility?

The is electric heat tape that can be wrapped with an insulllation cover.

You can even let the water run at a low flow rate during questionable periods.

If you are going to be away, disconnect it and move it to a warmer location. This still leaves fixtures exposed.

Do whatever it takes to prevent that damage.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 08-07-08, 01:37 PM
B
Thanks for the response. Building a shed is really not an option for us, though its a good idea otherwise. I'm told others have them outside around here, I'm just unsure about it. It doesn't get super cold here, we normally only have to wear a jacket during the winter. If it does freeze, we get a freeze warning on the news. Most of the time, the nights get down to high 30's-50's, average is probably in the 40s. It warms up during the day normally.

A lot to consider, but thanks for the ideas to help prevent a freeze.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: