Setting up new Fleck 5600 - Brine tank question

Old 08-09-08, 09:28 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Setting up new Fleck 5600 - Brine tank question

First post but I have lurked and learned much from this forum.

I just finished setting up a 48,000 Fleck 5600 system and I'm ready to fill the brine tank with salt. I noticed that the tube that houses the brine pickup line is secured more than 2 inches off the bottom of the brine tank. The tube I am talking about is the one that keeps the salt away from the brine pickup line/tube and screen. The pickup is resting on the bottom of the tank where it should be. Is this 2+ inch gap going to be a problem with salt getting to the pickup screen and potentially blocking it? The tube that the pickup is housed in has slots in it to let the brine flow in. I don't understand why there is a big gap at the bottom and want to make adjustments if necessary before filling the tank. Seems to me this "tube" should be resting on the bottom of the tank. Brine should still flow under it and through the slots without a problem.

So I call upon the gurus of this forum for advice. Thanks.

Old 08-24-08, 02:09 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
The brine well (4" cylinder) should go all the way to the bottom of the brine tank if there is no grid plate. The grid plate goes on the bottom of brine tank to keep salt 4" off bottom. Sounds to me someone forgot the grid plate.

Old 08-26-08, 03:25 PM
N
Thanks for the info. Not sure if the brine tank was supposed to have a grid or not. But that could also explains why I've got a good 4 inches of water over the top of the salt. If I put more salt in the tank I'm afraid the brine will come out of the overflow. The salt setting is at 18 pounds so that means the brine fill should be 6 gallons. I pretty sure it's putting more than 6 gallons in the tank and apparently this is a timed operation based on the salt setting knob? So does this setting assume there is a grid in the tank? I am getting zero point zero response from the vendor at this point. Otherwise the system is working fine.

Old 08-26-08, 05:49 PM
For the most efficient salt usage, salt setting should be 12 lbs. The system deos not know if a grid plate is used or not. Where did you buy the unit if you don't mind me asking? Is the unit timer or metered and how hard is the water? Any iron? I have never seen the brine well about the tank without having a grid plate so I don't know what adverse effect (if any) it may have.

Old 08-28-08, 11:09 AM
N
It's a timer unit, not metered. The incoming water hardness is 15 with no iron. I currently have it set for a 6 day cycle and haven't noticed any hardness getting through. The water feels soft but I need to get a water tester to see what is actually going on. Yes I should have bought a metered unit but I thought that a 12 day timer would allow me to pick between 1 and 12 days. (That's what is says in the product description.) The timer, in actuality, can only be set for 1,2,3,4,6 and 12 days. So I can't set it for 5 or 7. The vendor is APS and I see now that when ordering, there is a "misc option" for a "brine deck". Well, I didn't know what that was, didn't order it, assuming it was optional. I'm going to order this brine deck, mainly to keep the salt off the brine pickup. My old system which I replaced, did not have a brine grid/deck so I didn't know any better. The brine well on that tank goes all the way down to the bottom.

Old 08-28-08, 12:44 PM
Ok, setting the system at 12 lbs of salt will yeild 30,000 grains of removal. Your water having 15 rains per gallon: 30,000/15= 2000 gal between regens. 75 gal per person per day useage is average. Example: 3 people family /75 =225 gal usage per day: 2000/225=8.8 Set the unit up for every 6 days

Old 08-30-08, 10:43 AM
N
It's got 1.6 cu ft of resin (48K) so at 12 lbs per ft that's 18 lbs salt. Thing is because the bottom 4 inches is supposed to have a salt deck, I would have to dial the salt setting way down to compensate. ie I've got to remove 4 inches of water from the refill before the "salt setting" dial means anything. 4 inches is about 4 gallons. I'm pretty sure at the 18 lb setting it's putting in 10 ga water. 4 to compensate for the deck and 6 to dissolve the 18 lbs. I could set it a 6 pounds and get 4 (given) plus 2 (6lbs/3) for a total of 6 gallons. Again this assumes that the fill is purely based on the timer, the cam setting, and 4 gallons thrown in for the deck. If this the case seems the this misc option is not really an option, it's required.

Old 08-30-08, 10:58 AM
I don't think that is how it works. 1 gal water will disolve 3 lbs salt. The air check assembly will stop the water draw and the refill only puts the required amount of water to use 12 lb salt (4 gal water). The salt may turn into ganualers and start causing problems. A grid plate is reccommended.

Old 09-02-08, 06:48 PM
C
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your 48k has 1.5' of resin and if it is regular mesh resin, 13 lbs of salt regenerates 36K. A setting of 9 lbs gets 30k. To get the maximum 45K the salt dose has to be 22.5 or 23 lbs. You don't multiply any of that by 1.5, they are the settings for 1.5 ft3 of regular mesh resins. I would use 60 gals per person per day.

For control valves without variable reserve and your day timer control you need to subtract one days' worth of capacity to provide the reserve capacity. You do that by taking the number of people *60 * the hardness and subtract that from the K of capacity based on the salt dose and set the number of days accordingly.

Old 10-25-08, 02:57 PM
N
Finally got around to ordering and installing the deck plate for the brine tank. It fit in there perfectly. I did some measurements, the deck plate is 5.5 inches high and the brine fill puts 9.5 inches of water into the tank without the deck plate. So that is at least 10 gallons which is enough to dissolve 30 pounds of salt. Either the 18 lb setting is not calibrated correctly or it is intentionaly set that way to compenstate for the deck plate lifting the salt up almost 6 inches.

Old 10-26-08, 07:30 PM
It should be on a 12 lb salt setting. How far past (or above)the grid plate does the brine pick up go. If it's up high, the water level will be up high. It should split the grid plate with the 2310 series brine system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: