GE RO System - low/no pressure

Old 08-18-08, 09:11 AM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GE RO System - low/no pressure

I replaced my filters yesterday because they hadn't been done in a while and because when I turn on the faucet, I was getting an initial rush of fairly decent pressured water for about 10 seconds and then I got a tiny trickle that dried up really quick. I was only getting about 1/4 cup of water at a time before it would dry up.

I replaced the filters no problem - but when I got to the end, it tells you to remove green cap and release the vacuum relief valve and expect 1/2 gal of water, but I didn't get any water at all. Here's what it said:

11. Remove the green protective cap and depress the vacuum
relief valve stem, allowing air to enter the tank. Release the
valve stem AFTER flow from the tank shutoff valve slows to
a slight drip. Replace the green protective cap.
WARNING: This valve stem is for vacuum relief only.
Pressurizing the tank may cause it to rupture. Do not
attempt to pressurize the tank.

I put the system back together anyhow thinking maybe it had something to do with me not having pressure when I first started, but this AM I turned on the faucet, and got the same thing - 10 secs of good water, then trickle, then dry - 1/4 cup total.

In reading the DIY websites, I think I need to add pressure to the tank, but not sure what the correct pressure should be.

It's a model PNRV18.

I use only GE replacement parts and the RO membrane was changed at the last filter change so it should be fine and the indication lights aren't saying it needs to be replaced.

Any suggestions?

Old 08-23-08, 04:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like the system is water logged. That vaccum relief vale can be a fill valve as well. Get a bicycle pump and pump some air in to the valve. Open the faucet an d allow all the water to drain out, pump up again. Let the water drain out. Do this until the water stays dripping. Let out all the air and shut the faucet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: