Help maintaining older Kinetico model 60

Old 08-28-08, 09:31 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help maintaining older Kinetico model 60

We just moved into a new (to us) home built in 1989. There is a Kinetico model 60 and RO module treating the well water. The water here is hard with lots of iron and our well is only 30' deep. I called the local Kinetico dealer for a service call right before we moved in. When I scheduled the service call I asked them to send someone that would explain the system to me and check its operation. Unfortunately I was traveling for business when they came out, but my wife let the tech in and had me on the phone a few minutes after he showed up because she was so mad.

The tech arrived here, glanced at the unit, and immediately told my wife it would need to be replaced because it was too old. He never even touched the RO unit (which is partially disconnected, one tube and the pressure/storage tank is not connected!) instead saying it too was too old for service. His only recommendation was to buy all new stuff from them and of course it was a great time to buy right now because they would double the warranty and give me 10% off! He wouldn't even price any repairs saying the unit was too old to fix and was "iron fouled".

When my wife called me, I had him on the phone and basically kicked him out of the house for charging me $90 to make a sales call. He tried to sell me on new units with a 2 minute sales pitch. From a service guy! Whatever. I'm still pretty upset about that. But anyway... I guess we paid for an on-site water test.

Our results were hardness 15, clear iron 8, ox iron 0, ph 6.5, H2S <0.2 and "other" 460.

I think I need two things to fix this unit - new resin, and a fix for the brine tank float valve assembly. Pretty sure the resin needs replaced after 20 years. And I don't believe the brine tank is filling correctly. I have taken it apart and cleaned the float valve but when I manually set it to brine/rinse the water level stays close to the same. Water is coming from the softener to the brine tank, but the level in the tank doesn't seem to rise?

I'm in NE Ohio and would really appreciate a local resource to buy new resin from. Is there any service I can do to the brine tank float valve? I can take pictures of it if it would help. I can put just $200 into trying to fix this - if that won't do it, then I will be buying a DIY softener system from someone online and installing it myself. I am very handy. This is my wife's first experience with well water and she will not live with untreated water for very long.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide,
Patrick

Old 08-29-08, 07:06 AM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Sounds to me that the unit is not drawing brine. Put the unit into brine rince cycle and disconnect the brine line (the smaller line of the two). There should be a sucking sound and if you place your finger over it it will draw your finger in. I don't believe the resin needs to be replaced, maybe just cleaned. The real problem here is that the Kinetico is very hard to work on if you don't know what you're doing. I could explain how to tear it down, clean everything and put it back together, but it may not fix it. If you want to do it your self, check around for the best price. Based on your water conditions, I would say chlorination, backwash carbon and softener. If you want to try and fix the Kinetico, contact me at affordablewtr@aol.com

Old 08-29-08, 09:30 AM
A
vpnwiz,

Sorry you had an unfortunate experience with that dealership. I live in NW Ohio, so not that far away.

Nearly all Kineticos are rebuildable with a minimum of parts. What model do you have? Size of the tanks? The 'other' is most like your TDS, Total Dissolved Solids.

The RO probably had blue or black spin-off filters, right? Is the RO tank white, black, or blue? Yes, get some pictures if you can.

Let's us know and someone can help you,
Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 08-29-08, 10:25 AM
V
Thanks for the replies. Sorry I had to vent there. I was pretty ticked off about what happened.

I have posted some pictures of the unit and float valve assembly here:
http://www.driftwoodroad.com/images/kinetico/

From what we were told it is a Kinetico model 60.

I disconnected the brine float valve and there is suction on the line when the dial is turned to Brine. Since I'm not sure the valve assembly is working correctly I stuck the free end of the line in the tank to suck up the brine.

Thanks again
Patrick

Old 08-29-08, 06:06 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
You can test the brine valve. Get a clear soda bottle. Cut it in half and fill with water. Put the brine valve in and start a regen. If it pulls out the water and locks up (prevent air form being drawn, switch to backwash and wait till it start to fill. Pull up on the float stem. If the water stops flowing, it is working fine.

Old 08-30-08, 09:26 AM
A
Yes, you have a very old K-60. Those yellowish tanks were stopped about 15 years ago.

The float looks like an updated one as the older ones used a styrofoam float. The by-pass is original but may still be OK.

I use the same model of both the RO and the softener but rebuilt it and it works like new. I upgraded the RO with a QuickFlow tank which provides twice the volume and much better flow rate.

Chances are it will need a new membrane and filter. You may need to sanitize it as well and check bladder pressure.

Nonetheless, you will need some expense to get it up and running again. You will have a good system even as old as it is.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 09-01-08, 09:16 PM
V
After disassembling the brine valve and reinstalling, so far it seems to be functioning. The water tasted very salty at first but I think that's because I had done 4 manual regenerations in a row, trying to get as much salt through the resin as possible. The water seems much better today.

I am going to get a water test kit and test the hardness/iron so I can see what still needs to be done.

Regarding the RO system, will I need to purchase the membrane and filter from the local Kinetico dealer or are they parts I can find online? After this experience, if I can only source these from the dealer I will just scrap it and get a new one (probably Wells from Costco).

Thanks for the help so far.
Patrick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: