Need help choosing a softener model and size

Old 08-29-08, 08:49 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help choosing a softener model and size

Hi all, I need some help to pick a model and the size.
Here is the test result from an independant company:
pH: 7.41
TDS: 332 ppm
Hardness: 15 gpg (254mg/L)
Iron: 0.03 ppm (all ferric, no ferrous)
Magnesium: 26 ppm
Chlorine: 0.5 ppm
3 people in my hom, 2 bath rooms, SPF 5.2gpm, regular usage.

My most concern is reliability and durability, and my budget is up to $750.

Thanks!
Richard

Old 08-29-08, 09:21 AM
A
Are you willing to make monthly payments instead of lump summing it?

When you limit yourself to such a low expense, you may be reduced to buy a very low quality unit and wind up spending much more in the life of your water service.

Old 08-29-08, 06:00 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
You should be able to get a 30,000 grain metered demand Fleck 5600 for that price with a 5 year warranty. It will remove the unwanted impurities using a minimal amount of salt. Well worth the price.

Old 08-29-08, 07:36 PM
R
Thank you for the replies.
Could you make a couple recommendations that are good in the long run? Given that my water test result, what features should I put money on when I make selection?

Last edited by richatc; 08-29-08 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-30-08, 09:18 AM
A
Your water softener will be one of the hardest working appliances you will ever have. Your well pump, washer, dishwasher, water heater, toilets, showers, all water fixtures are among the items that will last a long time if you choose correctly. No other appliance will provide as many benefits and few will be considered an investment due to the savings in a wide variety of areas around the home and on the body.

Try to consider a system that will last 25 - 30 years before major service calls are needed. Look for high efficiency in salt and water usage.

Since you have chlorine (those numbers change according to the cities water management), I would consider some kind of dechlorination prior to the water softener. I would avoid systems that mix carbon and softener resins in the same tank.

Do not get a timer model. They are very wasteful and not at all worth the economy of the purchase. Demand operated models come in different configurations from mechanical to electrical to electronic. There are single tank and twin tank models. The twin tank models have many benefits but also cost more. They tend to last longer and work more efficiently.

If you plan to live in the house for a long time, get a great system rather just an adequate one. Consider an RO for improved drinking water.

Rememeber that going cheap can be very costly.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 08-31-08, 05:21 PM
R
It makes a lot of sense, Andy. I appreciate your help.
I will go with Fleck 5600SE 32K grain, only thing I am not sure is whether to have a PRO Res-Care feeder, does the chemical do any good?
To address the chlorine problem, I am making a choice among the following (let me know if there's more)
1. WH-20 (who makes this?)
2. Fleck Carbon
3. KPF

I have several questions:
First of all, do they all work with 5600SE softener?
2nd question: Fleck carbon is a backwashing model, does it mean that there's no need to exchange filter over the time? Any other cost associated with it?
Last: WH-20 needs $45 a year, and if I am living here for less than 5 yrs it seems to be a real option to me. Is there any drawback using this one?

Old 09-01-08, 04:49 PM
A
If you are decided on the Fleck 5600SE, then it will serve you adequately.

Forget the PRO Res-Care. The is for old, tired resin beds and I am not sure it works as claimed. Once resin is shot, it's like trying to put a bandaid on a balloon.

I think you mean KDF, not KPF. The upflow filter is great from removing chlorine for very longer periods of time. It comes with a prefilter, which all upflows should.

The other filter WH 20 will also work quite well at removing chlorine and other elements, and organics. Any backwashing filter can also be a benefit but on city water it means using more water for backwashing.

I would go with the KDF. It will eventually need to be rebedded and you can get medias from a local water professional.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 09-02-08, 02:14 PM
C
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by richatc View Post
Hi all, I need some help to pick a model and the size.
Here is the test result from an independant company:
pH: 7.41
TDS: 332 ppm
Hardness: 15 gpg (254mg/L)
Iron: 0.03 ppm (all ferric, no ferrous)
Magnesium: 26 ppm
Chlorine: 0.5 ppm
3 people in my hom, 2 bath rooms, SPF 5.2gpm, regular usage.

My most concern is reliability and durability, and my budget is up to $750.

Thanks!
Richard
3 people *60 gals per day *15 *8 days = 22K for 8 days.

A 2 bath house needs a 9-12 gpm constant SFR flow rate softener. They are for a 32k and 48K softener. Salt efficiency is better in the 48K.

The Clack WS-1 control valve is a good choice for a person that wants to repair their own softener. If use a 5600 then you need a days' worth of reserve. The Clack doesn't because of its variable reserve done daily by the computer automatically.

Either size softener fits your $750 budget if you buy online. I think you won't like replacing the KDF and at the drain line flow rates of those softeners, the KDF won't be backwashed very well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: