Resin Tank on Water Softener is cracked

Old 09-04-08, 08:23 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Resin Tank on Water Softener is cracked

The resin tank on my water softener has a small crack in it near the top. I tried using a little epoxy to seal it but it will not hold. Does anyone have a suggestion to fix this?
If I buy a new tank can I reuse the resin beads?
Thanks.

Old 09-04-08, 11:29 AM
C
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There is no fix except to get a new tank and yes you can reuse the resin, and any gravel if there's a gravel underbed. Pour it out into 5 gallon buckets and let the water overflow th top of the bucket until the resin is about to and stop.

You will need a large funnel to pour it all back into the new tank.

You may need a new distributor tube unless you get the same brand of tank. If your resin is 10 or more years old, now would probably be a great time to replace it too. Depending on the size of the tank, bought online it might cost $150+/-.

What brand and capacity/size softener or brand of control valve do you have?

Somewhere on the tank is a label, inbedded into the epoxy usually and the model number tells us the dia/height of the tank. And the brand of the tank will be on the label too.

I would by pass the softener because the leaking spot can pop open or split the tank and flood whatever at any time but especially at night if you have a city water supply.

Old 09-04-08, 11:34 AM
C
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sorry duplicate posts, I thought the first didn't go through.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: