Aprilaire 2400: Trane XL80 or XV80?

Old 09-13-08, 09:42 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 2400: Trane XL80 or XV80?

Hi everyone. I have a 1500 sq ft single story house in San Jose CA, and I've been thinking of replacing our aging HVAC system. (It's currently 15 years old, and seems to be on its last leg.) Anyway, while interviewing several contractors, they got me interested in air cleaners.

Although the Lennox HC16 seems to be a top-rated cleaner, the maintenance costs are substantially higher than the other alternative that was presented to us: the Aprilaire 2400. (By the way, I am not considering electronic air cleaners.)

So, I've decided to go with the Aprilaire 2400.

Now, my current challenge is to figure out which furnace I should go with: a standard XL80, or the variable speed XV80. (The XV80 will cost me almost six hundred more than the XL80.)

I do have grass/pollen allergies as well as a mild case of exercise-induced asthma. However, I still can't figure out if it is really worthwhile to run the blower 24/7 for air filtration purposes...especially considering that in the course of every day life, I breathe unfiltered air every time I open a door/window, get the mail, run an errand, "try" to play golf, etc.

Any thoughts/opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by must_golf_more; 09-13-08 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-15-08, 11:22 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello.

I have an AprilAire 2400 and it's the best for the money in my opinion.

We have a 5-ton central air system and from my calculations, 1 AprilAire 2400 is not enough. I need 500 sq inch of opening (intake) and from my calculations (correct me if I am wrong), you get about 375 sq inch with one AprilAire 2400.

We are in the process of moving the furnace to the attic and will be adding 2 intake grills and will install 2 AprilAire 2400 units which should be more than enough for the intake.

Another good thing about this filter is that since it is not electrical, it does not produce ozone.

I am getting a UV lamp to place inside the duct work to kill bacteria, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: