Kenmore UltraSoft 100 with error code 1

Old 09-14-08, 08:05 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenmore UltraSoft 100 with error code 1

Hi,

Just noticed our water felt hard so I went out and checked the softner and the screen is reading "err1". The manual isnt very specific as to what this code is. I tried unplugging the softner hoping to just re-set it, but the code comes right back after a few minutes. We had this problem a couple years back and Sears fixed it under warranty, but I cant remember what the tech said it was. I'm trying to avoid paying Sears to come out and fix it and hope to repair it myself. As a disclaimer, I dont know too much about softners....... but I am willing to learn.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-15-08, 07:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When you unplug it and plug it back in does the motor turn? If the motor turns, look at the micro switch to see if it activates.

Old 09-15-08, 03:40 PM
J
I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for, but when I plug it back in it makes a noise, but it doesnt sound like a motor turning. Can you give me an idea of what the micro switch looks like or where its located?

Thanks

Old 09-15-08, 06:06 PM
http://www.kenmorewater.com/website/.../ts_index.html
Go through this link. It will help.

The motor turns the rotor. The micro switch tells the board what position the rotor is in. Error code 1 could be the motor, micro switch, wiring harness or the computer board itself.

Old 09-15-08, 06:35 PM
J
Thanks so much for the help..... I really appreciate it.

Come to think of it, I remember now that the Sears tech had to replace the computer board a couple years ago. You think it could be the same problem again? The softner does sit outside next to the well pump and bladder tank but we keep a cover over it....... its just a round grill cover, but it keeps the rain off it. Maybe the humidity and moisture wore it out again? But the screen is showing an error, so I assume its functioning........ no?

I did notice today that the black lid on the top of the motor is all cracked. The internal parts seem to be intact, but the cover got all busted up somehow.

I'll go thru the link you gave me too, it looks like a great place to start...... thanks.

Last edited by Jumbo Jet; 09-15-08 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-16-08, 06:26 PM
With a multi meter you can check to see if the micro switch or wiring harness are working. Don't assume the board is bad. They are very expensive to replace.

Old 09-16-08, 08:11 PM
J
Yes, I saw they are $150 to replace. It was raining tonight so I couldnt go out to work on it. I'll have to attempt it tomorrow. That site you gave me is awesome........ thanks! It even has sound effects, should be easier to diagnose.

I'm assuming the board is working because the display is showing "err1". I remember last time Sears was here the screen was dead completely. The screen cycles thru most of the functions, but when it gets to the time it only flashes the time and wont display it steady, then a few minutes later it goes back to "err1".

I did notice yesterday that the motor housing is cracked and that the sprocket below the motor is showing signs of corrosion.

Thanks again for the help, I'm determined to do this myself and avoid calling Sears at all costs.

Old 09-17-08, 07:17 PM
Jumbo,
I sent you a private message.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: