Kinetico Brine/Rinse Cycle Runs for Days

Old 09-17-08, 10:34 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kinetico Brine/Rinse Cycle Runs for Days

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows what would cause the rinse cycle to run for days on a Kinetico Water Softener? This happened from day one and I assumed that is just the way it was. After emailing Kinetico they said this is not normal behaviour. I'm able to stop the behaviour by turning the valve into an off position for a few seconds, and then when I put it back into a service position there is no more noise/rinsing. If I leave it running on it's own, it will eventually go to the next cycle, sometimes it lasts only a few hours other times it's over 3 days. Thanks in advance.

Marc

Old 09-17-08, 02:31 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
There could be several problems. The Kinetico valve uses water flow to advance the system through regeneration. The regeneration drive pawl would be the first thing I would look at. The level 1 or the control disc could also cause this problem. If you don't know about the valve, I sugest contacting the dealer and having them fix it. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Old 09-17-08, 05:19 PM
M
I just tried the manual regeneration (once I found out about it) and the cycle worked fine, so then I went the the 2nd brine/rinse manual regeneration and it seemed to work fine right up to the end of the backwash and then the little piece that moves (the one with the black dot) didn't move off of the backwash to end the cycle. So would this be the control disc that is causing the issue? The white gear with the #3 on it?

Old 09-17-08, 05:46 PM
The white gear with #3 is the meter disc. The control disc is under that. Could be trash in the system. Do you have a pre filter with it? Have you ever taken it apart? If you need help, contact me at affordablewtr@aol.com

Old 09-18-08, 11:08 AM
M
I tried the manual regeneration again and it worked fine this time. When I was turning the little gear I didn't feel any abnormal resistance and it didn't seem to be off kilter or anything. I do have a prefilter, it was installed with the water softener and I have not taken this apart at all.

I found another post with the same issue (sorry, I found it after posting this one) and they said it could have been an air-lock and manually regenerating may fix it. At this point I'm going to monitor it to see if it happens again. Thank you for your help.

Old 09-18-08, 01:19 PM
Now try regenerating the other tank to see if it happens.

Old 09-22-08, 11:13 AM
M
So far so good. I've left the softener be and I can see that it has gone through 2 regeneration cycles and it behaved properly.

Old 09-01-09, 07:48 AM
M
Just want to give an update, the problem did return and seemed to work better with lower water pressure (pre-filter getting clogged up over time, new filter would cause problem to return because of greater pressure) as mentioned by someone else in another post. Now, the root cause is definitely an air pocket as mentioned, for me the way to fix it was while it was stuck on it's regen process, I turned the handle slowly towards the bypass setting but not totally on the yellow setting. So, while I was turning it, while it was hissing, it slowly was decreasing the pressure and the hissing also started to decrease in intensity. Now the key for me to getting rid of the air pocket was to leave the dial almost on the bypass but not totally on it either, it was still hissing doing the regeneration and then eventually a huge amount of air come out and the softner finished it's regen process, then I turned it back to then normal position and it's been working very well since. Hope this helps out other people.

Last edited by msoukup; 09-01-09 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-01-09, 08:40 PM
You may want to take a closer look at the brine assembly. It sound as though it is sucking air.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: