Resin tank crack

Old 10-26-08, 10:09 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resin tank crack

Hello,

I purchased a Fleck 7000 valve and 48K resin tank online about 1yr ago. It worked flawlessly up until about a month ago when it started to leak water. I removed the fleck valve and noticed a hairline crack in the threaded insert portion of the tank (valve was not cross threaded).

I contacted the vendor who suggested I check the water pressure and get back to him which I did. This is city water and I show 115psi "head" pressure and it drops to 40psi when I open a faucet in the house.

I contacted the internet vendor who indicated that I should shoot for pressure in the 70psi range. I've played with the water pressure regulator and was able to lower the flow pressure but can't seem to get the 115psi "head" pressure down.

Did I get a flawed resin tank or is my pressure too high to run a water softner system ?

I don't want to replace the tank and be in the same situation in 6-7 months.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason Hall

Old 10-27-08, 10:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I'm not mistaking the tanks are rated up 125psi. I've seen the same hairline crack on water pressure at 60 psi. The seller should replace the tank at no charge.

Old 10-28-08, 09:09 PM
J
Thanks biermech for the response. I pulled out the fleck 7000 manual and it says it is also good for up to 125psi. The resin tank on the internet site also says it should handle 125psi as well.

I've placed a call to the internet vendor and left a message today. Hopefully he gets back to me on Wednesday and have a new one shipped out.

Jason

Old 10-29-08, 07:12 AM
A
Originally Posted by Jhall1975 View Post

I've placed a call to the internet vendor and left a message today. Hopefully he gets back to me on Wednesday and have a new one shipped out.

Jason
Boy, how does that work? You call the guy and say: my tank cracked and I would like another one. And he says, "No problem, I'll get right on it."

That would be a great service. My guess is that he will say it's not his fault and it's not covered by his warranty (if he does nay warranty work at all). But, I hope you can take care of it. I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but since you installed it, you may have to be responisible. Your task is to illustrate how he is responisible.

We don't have that problem (unusually high pressure) around herem except on commercial jobs and then a pressure regulator is required. We have had more problem with just the opposite--negative pressure where the tanks collapse. Then a vacuumm breaker is installed.

Anyway, let us know how it is when working withan on-line dealer in this kind of situation.

Andy Christensen, CWS-III

Old 10-29-08, 02:29 PM
J
Hi Andy,

So far Craig at Quality Water Treatment hasn't returned my call since yesterday,,,,thats customer service at its finest.

I totally agree with you on user install issues, but seriously how hard is it to screw the valve on and plumb it. When biermech indicates that he has seen these fail at 60psi that doesn't sit well with me especially when the website has max PSI ratings listed and warranties info provided (structural wound resin tanks), in this case 10 year warranty on the resin tank.

When I spoke with Craig about a month ago I told him straight up that I would purchase another tank and would like the cracked one sent back to the manufacturer so they can inspect it. He wanted me to verify the water pressure which I did and he said it was too high, leaving me at a loss.

My take on this is if its a faulty tank I would like a reimbusement, if it was my problem (user/installer error, too much PSI), I'll eat it.

I guess I'll see how this pans out. So far i've got $520 of equipment sitting in my garage that is useless.

Andy...should this system have worked in my setup....PSI range ?

Thanks for your time,
Jason

Old 10-29-08, 08:20 PM
A
Hope it works out.

Quality tanks are rated at 300psi hydostatic pressure and 125psi service pressure. At 115psi it can be argued that the gauge is not that accurate or pressure varies at those levels. Regardless on how you repalce the tank, get a pressure regulator or the problem may happen again.

Andy Christensen, CWS-III

Old 10-29-08, 08:50 PM
J
Thanks Andy,

I'm not sure if I understand correctly.

I've got water coming straight from the street (water meter) into the house. I have a Wilkins water pressure regulator (25-75psi user range) (300psi max inlet). From there I routed new copper tubing into the inlet on the water softner and back out into the house.

Do I need to run another regulator, 2 regulators inline ?

Jason

Old 10-31-08, 08:52 PM
J
Update,

I replaced the water pressure regulator this morning and my pressure problems are gone. Static pressue is now 50psi which is what the regulator was pre-set at. It drops just a hair with the flow pressure.

Jason Hall

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: