Tapping to the main water supply line for water softener installation

Old 10-28-08, 06:31 PM
L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tapping to the main water supply line for water softener installation

I am living in a 2-stories house in Houston, Texas and I am going to install a new water softener. Of course, my house does not have any basement and is built on a concrete slab similar to other southern houses.
However, unlike many other houses around this area, it has a detached garage instead of an attached one. The water supply line comes into my house from a corner where my master Bedroom closet is and it is in the opposite corner from my detached garage. Since the garage is too far from the water supply line, installing the water softener in the garage is not an option to me.
The only place I can think of is to install it in the utility room which is located in the center of my house.

1.) I read some plumbing books and the typical plumbing system layout they showing are houses with basement. The branch of the cold water supply line to other users is always just before the water heater which is in basement. Nevertheless, the water heater in my house is in the attic. I traced the cold water inlet line from the water heater to the hole on subfloor where it come from (which is on the opposite corner from the water supply line) and did not see any branch. So is it possible the water supply line has other branches inside the subfloor between 1st/2nd floor or 2nd/attic before it reaches the attic?

2.) If i run the water pipe around the closet, can I cut notches on the studs for the pipes so that I can hide the pipe behind the drywall? Will it damage the structure of the house? I am planing to install 3/4" or 1" pipe.

3.) The drainage in laundry box inside the utility room has a higher elevation (about 14") than the overflow hole of the water softener. What is the best material (plywood, etc...) for the base under the water softener to increase its elevation?

Thanks.

Old 10-28-08, 08:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Be carefull. There is no code or rule that says where a branch will be. You can miss part of the house. Have you though about placing the unit out side next to the main inlet or around one corner of the house. I spent 13 years in Austin installing softeners and have left them outside. It can be the easiest and cheapest way.

Old 10-29-08, 07:30 AM
A
I agree. Installing outside may be the best solution. We can't do that up north here, even in an enclosed garage for fear of freezing. But in Texas, that should not be an issue.

It will require some digging and maybe some foundation work, but is space is a premium, then consider an outside install.

Be aware that with some electronical equipment, protection from whether and other atmospheric conditions may be needed.

Andy Christensen, CWS-III

Old 10-29-08, 10:14 PM
L
Thanks Biermech and Andy for your replies.
Outside water softener installation is a good alternative to me but I do have couple questions:

1.) Please see the picture:

Should I just tap to the main water line before it enter the house?

2.) Can I use the cleanout plug in the picture as a drain line?

3.) What type of pipe I should use here in Texas? CPVC or copper?

4.) Can I run the pipe under the soil? how deep do I have to dig?

5.) Does the pipe need any insulation if it is underground?

6.)

I am thinking to install the water softener next to the A/C. Will it affect the heat transfer of the A/C Condenser?

7.) What type of foundation for the water softener should be used for outdoor installation?

8.) How noisy when the water softener regenerates? Is it as noisy as a washing machine or a A/C Condenser?

Thanks.

Old 10-30-08, 07:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. Yes you can use the cleanout for the drain but you should put a pee trap on it. I would dig a hole near the unit a make a french drain.
2. Pvc is good (less expensive) but make sure you insulate anything "above" ground.
3. Yes you can plave pvc underground. Dig a 6"-12" deep trench. This will be deep enough.
4. You do not need insulation underground. The freeze line is 1" in Texas. 6-12" will insulation the pipe.
5. See the slab the A/C is sitting on? That is what I used. Here in Fla, I dig a hole about 1' deep the place the resin tank in. The salt tank sits on the ground.
6. It,s about the sound as the dishwasher.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: