Kenmore Ultrasoft 400 - Need help... Switch Indicator continues to open

Old 11-03-08, 06:10 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Ultrasoft 400 - Need help... Switch Indicator continues to open

I have a Kenmore UltraSoft 400 water softener. It is displaying an "ERR3" on the PWA.

I recently had the switch replaced, so there’s no problem with advancing through the cycles. I also recently installed a new PWA.

I went to the KenmoreWater.com website and went through the troubleshooting guide. In a nutshell:
1. I pressed and held the “Select” button for 3 seconds
2. I pressed the “Recharge” (“On/Off/Hold”) button to listen to the motor, which started up fine
3. I pressed the “Recharge” (“On/Off/Hold”) button again to see if the Switch Indicator changed from “Open” to “Closed”, which it did
4. Once I did, the Switch Indicator switched back to the “Open” position again
5. At this point, the troubleshooting guide told me I need a trained service technician to fix the problem.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem is, and whether I can fix it myself? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 11-03-08, 09:14 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
When you press and hold the select, it brings the pwa to the diagnostic mode. I believe when you push it again, the screen changes and will show 2 dashes. As the motor turns the cam, one dash will change to a P. If this does not change, then either the micro switch is bad or the cable that connects the switch to the pwa is bad. To get rid of the error code, you must unplug the unit. The unit may cycle through to allow the pwa to find the timing with the cam. It may go around twice. If you are not successful, contact me at affordablewtr@aol.com and I will give you more information.

Old 11-03-08, 10:12 PM
D
Thanks for your response. When I press the "Select" button twice, it just reverts back to the "ERR3" message on the PWA, and doesn't go through a diagnostic cycle. If I press the "Select" button, then the “Recharge” (“On/Off/Hold”) button, it goes through a diagnostic cycle, but after a few minutes it shows "ERR3" on the PWA again.

Same thing when I unplug and re-plug the unit - it goes back to the "ERR3" message.

I just replaced the micro switch about six months ago, so I'm not sure if that's the issue. After reading the latest info above, do you feel it's still possibly the micro switch or wire harness?

Old 11-04-08, 07:34 AM
The only thing that will cause an error code is something electronic, motor, micro switch, pwa, ect. You have to get in the mode where it shows the 2 dashes to see if one changes to a P. The P stands for position which tells the pwa where the cam is. The only other way to check is with a multi meter.

Old 11-04-08, 08:42 AM
Try this. Push and release the select button. Then push and hold and see if it shows 3 000 and the 2 dashes. The 3 000 are the flow meter. If you run water at that time, the 000 will count 001, 002, 003 ect. That will tell you the meter is working.

Old 11-04-08, 11:00 AM
D
Ok, I pushed and held the "Select" button for 3 seconds, but instead of showing 3 000 and the 2 dashes, it shows "HF 32". Any idea what this means?

Old 11-04-08, 12:30 PM
That is the model to tell the computor how much resin is in it. Push and release the select button. Then push and hold and see if it shows 3 000 and the 2 dashes. If you e-mail me, I'll give you my number and talk you through it.
affordablewtr@aol.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: