Kinetico using too much potassium chloride

Old 11-05-08, 02:43 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Kinetico using too much potassium chloride

I have a new Kinetico water softener model: Mach 2030s
Unit was installed about 2 months ago. Hardness of our water is 26 grains. 1.5 baths, 2 adults, 2 children in the house.
Energy efficient dishwasher and washing machine.

Unit is consuming potassium chloride at an alarming rate of 100 pounds per month. It has a number 5 wheel installed.
It seems to regenerate twice a day!

When I purchased the unit, I was assured by the salesman that it was efficient and would only use 1 pound of salt per regen and about 50 pounds per month. It is using more than twice that. The water seems soft.

Just had a tech look at the unit and the float was coated with crystals already.

I am really concerned about this and don't know what to do.
Thanks!

Old 11-05-08, 06:41 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I worked for Kinetico years ago and have a lot of knowledge of how their systems work even though I'm not that familiar with the 2030 models. From what you have said (hardness, # people, ect) it sounds right on the amount of salt usage. They are efficient as far as salt/water usage. But the system will regen more than once a day because of the low amount of resin in the system. With the high hardness and the amount of people, you needed a bigger system.

Old 11-05-08, 07:19 PM
A
Originally Posted by SupperDad View Post
I have a new Kinetico water softener model: Mach 2030s
Unit was installed about 2 months ago. Hardness of our water is 26 grains. 1.5 baths, 2 adults, 2 children in the house.
Energy efficient dishwasher and washing machine.

Unit is consuming potassium chloride at an alarming rate of 100 pounds per month. It has a number 5 wheel installed.
It seems to regenerate twice a day!

When I purchased the unit, I was assured by the salesman that it was efficient and would only use 1 pound of salt per regen and about 50 pounds per month. It is using more than twice that. The water seems soft.

Just had a tech look at the unit and the float was coated with crystals already.

I am really concerned about this and don't know what to do.
Thanks!
A couple of things first. Potassium Chloride will require more weight than Sodium Chloride, so the dosage is higher. That may indicate a higher thyan predicted usage.

Secondly, there is no 1 pound dosage on a 2030. The lowest recommended is 1.8 lbs. With you hardness and disk number, you are probably set at 2.4 lbs.

If you calculate 75 g/person/day then you may typically use 300 gallons. On a disk 5 you will regenerate every 250 gallons. So there may be days where it regenerates twice in one day, it usually will not--unless your water use demands it.

300 gallons for 30 days is 9000 gallons divided by 250 will regenerate4 36 times per month times 2.4 lbs will use 86+ pounds of salt.

Increase that with potassium use and you are around 100 lbs.

My question would be: are you getting soft water? All the time? My suggestion is to get rid of the potassium as soon as possible (here it is $19.00 for a 50lb bag). It no longer serves as an advantage.

Andy Christensen, CWS-III

Old 11-05-08, 10:55 PM
I cant think of the mach 2030 specs off the top of my head but a standard 2030 or older K30 would remove about 32-34 grains of hardness. Kinetico softeners are sized by max hardness.On a standard 30 model you are almost maxed out. A
2060 or 2040 would have been a better fit i believe. I will have to check a manual on your specific model, i do know the mach series take out less hardness bit almost double the amount of water that goes through the system before regeneration.

Old 11-06-08, 10:25 AM
A
Kinetico MACH 2030 VS K-30

A little error in your estimates

The MACH series is more efficient and uses less water than the K-series.
Kinetico MACH 2030 VS K-30

K-30
reg time: 40 min
water ued: 37 gal
Effec.: @ 2.7lb is 3,570 g/lb
@ 1.8 lb is 4,260 g/lb
MAX hardness is 45 gpg @ 3.0lb for 150 gal.

MACH 2030
Reg time: 40 min
water used: 29 gal
Effec.: @ 2.4 lb is 3,708 g/lb
@ 1.8 lb is 4371 g/lb
Max hardness is 45 gpg @ 3.0 lb for 157 gal.

The 2040 is much more efficient and the 2060 will regen much less often. The 2030 is a good unit for his use but I would still recommend getting rid of the potassium regenerant.

Old 11-07-08, 10:43 PM
oops, i was thinking the OD models. They take out less hardness. (ie mach 2030OD)

Old 11-08-08, 07:48 AM
A
Originally Posted by mandalorian5150 View Post
oops, i was thinking the OD models. They take out less hardness. (ie mach 2030OD)
Yes, for Overdrive models, rule of thumb is to cut hardness in half per disk. OD models are 2040, 4040, 2060, 2100 and the CP series can be adapted to OD, too.

Old 11-22-08, 12:55 AM
R
I have a Kinetico Quad 51 and recently had my carbon filters replaced after 7 yrs. The technician said there is a $350 upgrade which includes a brine tank baffle and a new metering rod which would cut my usage from 3-4 potassium bags per month, to 4 per year. My brine tank does not have anything on the bottom of it. I also have a #5 disk installed when my water was much harder, and present day I need a #2 disk. My question: Is there such a device or upgrade that would cut down the potassium usage per year? Or is the technician just trying to make a few bucks?

Rod

Last edited by red3171; 11-22-08 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Needed to add info
Old 11-22-08, 06:36 AM
A
How is it that your hardness drop so much? Did you move to a new location? Do you have a prefilter?**

Yes, going from a disk 5 to 2 will greatly decrease your salt use. I could predict how much you would use in a year because that depends on much water you use.

You should have a gidr at the bottom of the brine drum. What is the size (dimensions) of the drum? The grid will affect your salt use. The grid provides the volume of brine to be void of salt (pellets) and the rod can be adjusted to provide more accurate dosage.

There have been upgrades in the rod mechanism to make them simplier and more durable. It's a good unit and an upgrade is recommended but not required. It will run better and more efficiently.

Old 11-22-08, 11:00 AM
R
AndyC,
Thanks for the rely. The city put some big water treatment building for the portion of the city that I live in. Basically it's like a big water softener for the neighborhood. It reduced the extremely hard water level, but it is still "hard." When I originally had my Kinetico installed, that city water treament system was not in place, so I had to use a #5 disk. Now that it's there, and had my water re-tested, I need a #2. I wanted to buy a grid and #2 disk to avoid the $100 out-of-the-area service charge, plus all the labor on top of that. The closest Kinetico service is not within my city.

Thanks,
Rod

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: