Kinetico 60 Sulfer Smell

Old 11-07-08, 12:13 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kinetico 60 Sulfer Smell

I have a 19 year old Kinetico 60 softener that has started in the last year to make my water smell like rotten eggs. I thought it might be my well needing chlorination but I noticed that when changing filters the water in my pre-filter does not smell while the water in my taste/odor cartridge (after the softener) does smell. A new taste/odor cartridge removes the smell for about 3-4 weeks but returns as the cartridge ages.
How do I get rid of this smell short of changing the filter more often? Is there a way to clean/disinfect the resin tanks? Should I remove and replace the resin material chlorinating the tanks in-between? Where would I buy new resin?
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-07-08, 01:00 PM
A
Are you still getting softened water? Does the water smell in the brine drum, especially after regenerating?

You may need to sanitize your softener. Sometimes, bacteria can grow and it needs to be 'cleaned'. It is usually a harmless bacteria but can accumulate and produce odors as you are describing.

Andy Christensen, CWS-III

Old 11-07-08, 01:24 PM
L
It is still softening the water. The brine tank does not seem to smell even though it is not recharging now. I started a new cycle and will check it later. What will this test tell me? If I do just need sanitizing, how do I go about doing this? If the resin needs replacement, what is the proper type and amount per cylinder?

Old 11-07-08, 05:22 PM
A
Another thing to do is by-passit and see if the smell goes away. Of course let the water run for a minute.

If it goes away, chance are the resins have fouled a little and are actually producing the odor. This is often caused by organics of one type or another. Since your softener is still producing soft water (consistently?), it is probably not fouled with iron or resin volume lessened.

To sanitize your softener, put a cup of household, unscented bleach (5.25% hypochlorite) in your bine tank--trying to get it to the bottom--and put it through a manual regeneration.

Are your tanks black or brown? Your resins may have suffered during the 20 years and may need to be replaced. Replcing resins will boost your softener's performance.

Old 11-07-08, 11:07 PM
Andy C know all the tricks. Do you live in Newbury???

Old 11-08-08, 07:44 AM
A
Originally Posted by mandalorian5150 View Post
Andy C know all the tricks. Do you live in Newbury???
No, I don't know all the tricks and I have been there a couple of times.

Andy

Old 11-08-08, 09:42 AM
L
Thanks for the info. My tanks are brown (tan). Do you have any idea what type of resin I should be looking for and approximately how much I need per tank? Any secret to emptying out the cylinders? Will the gravel come out with the resin? If so, do I just rinse off the gravel and replace it into the bottom of the tank before I add the new resin beads? Again, thanks for helping me. I appreciate it!!

Old 11-08-08, 02:05 PM
A
Originally Posted by Lonewolf54 View Post
Thanks for the info. My tanks are brown (tan). Do you have any idea what type of resin I should be looking for and approximately how much I need per tank? Any secret to emptying out the cylinders? Will the gravel come out with the resin? If so, do I just rinse off the gravel and replace it into the bottom of the tank before I add the new resin beads? Again, thanks for helping me. I appreciate it!!
You're welcom!

Standard mesh high capacity cation resin. Use 0.7 cuft per tank. Find the weight of 1 cuft and 7/10 of that. No gravel is needed with tanks this size.

When tanks are empty fill put a cup of bleach or hydrogen peroxide and fill tanks with water. let sit for a couple of hours and then empty and flush again before filling with resin.

Check distributors for cracks or gaping slits.

Reassemble and manually regenerate looking for leaks or other unusual problems.

Not really too difficult.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 11-09-08, 01:54 PM
L
I'll give it a try as soon as I get some new resin. Hopefully that should be by next weekend. I'll let you know if it works and gets rid of the smell.

Old 11-18-08, 10:04 PM
L
Air Injection Filter?

Cleaned the tanks, soaked them for (4) hours in a bleach solution, and then replaced the resin. Smell seems to be gone for now. My local water guys suggest an "air injection filter" if the smell returns. They carry Aqua Systems "Smartchoice". Anyone familiar with these types of filters? Do they work? Recommendations?

Old 11-19-08, 05:29 AM
A
Great! I hope it stays away. Odors can be both difficult to determine and treat. Normally, softeners have little effect on odors unless they are being caused by the softeners.

Refreshing old softeners can be a big savings if the valve is a quality unit. If by now, your old Kinetico goes through its stages normally, then it should last another 20 years.

Old 01-19-09, 08:03 PM
M
Kinetico 60 uses too much salt

My system uses too much salt, about 10 bags every 3 weeks.

Last week, I just noticed that a fully filled brine tank with salt pelletes about 2 days back had become half empty and there was water right upto the top of the tank and the regeneration seemded to be going on for ever.

Shutdown the system by bypassing the water. Installed a RO filter for now, but still there is brown coloration in the tub and sink.

Will cleaning the brine tank and subsequently changing the resin help me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: