Autotrol 155 doesn't draw brine

Old 11-25-08, 06:43 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Autotrol 155 doesn't draw brine

My water softener is 22 years old. It has been bypassed for a couple of years. (I think I turned it off because it wasn't drawing brine.) I would like to get it working again. Problem is that it doesn't draw brine. I checked the injector, which is clean, and checked that the problem is not an air leak in the line from the brine tank. Any other ideas? I think I read on some web site that the resin bed could be clogged. Would that cause it? If that is the case, how do I replace it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Rick

Old 11-27-08, 11:44 AM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
The resin being bad would not stop the unit from drawing brine. Check the drain for blockage. Are you sure you placed the venturi in properly. Spin the cam unil you get a fill and allow the aircheck to fill with water. Then advance it to a draw and watch the aircheck. Is the water drawn from the aircheck?

Old 11-28-08, 10:04 PM
S
it is possible that it could be air checked. Try advancing the cam to the fill/rinse cycle to fill the plastic jar(on the right side of valve) with water. let it run for a few minutes to purge air out of the brine line and float. then it should draw brine out of the salt tank. if not then the injector or screen is clogged, the drain line is clogged or kinked. or flappers are messed up. lots of possibility's. but most likely injector. i would try to find a good local company to service the machine.

Old 12-04-08, 02:24 PM
R
Thanks for the help, biermech and smasters. The aircheck is filled and stays filled when I put it in brine mode. (The level in the brine tank doesn't go down, either.)

Dumb question: which part is the venturi?

Old 12-04-08, 03:12 PM
https://www.pure-earth.com/PDF/255-460i.pdf
This is a manual for the upgraded version of the 155. It the exploded parts view, the injector is #8. Take off both caps (injector screen and injector) and using a pair of needle nose pliers, grab injector and pull out or you can use a long thin screw driver and push out from the opposit end. Be careflu not to break to injector. Hope this helps.

Old 12-05-08, 02:19 PM
R
I had already removed and cleaned the injector and screen. I also took apart the 'head' (or whatever it is called) and cleaned the flaps.

Another (probably unrelated) question: when I hold a light behind the resin tank, the light shines through the top foot or so. I.e., I think the resin does not completely fill the tank. Is this normal, or did I lose some of the resin at some point?

Old 12-05-08, 03:03 PM
The resin should be about 2/3 of the tank. So a foot down sound right. If the injector and flappers are good, check for a blockage to the drain.

Old 07-01-09, 01:02 PM
B
I'm having a similar problem reviving an autotrol 255/440 softener which has been sitting in our basement for several years.

I totally emptied and cleaned the brine tank and its parts, as well as totally dismantled, cleaned, and put back together the upper part of the autotrol valve, including the screen, injector, valves, balls, etc.

I replaced the timer motor, which was bad, and have ordered a new screen/cap assembly (which cracked when I was cleaning it, but should not prohibit it from drawing brine).

I plugged it back in and added about 4 gallons of water in the brine tank and about 160 lbs. of salt, but the salt level has not changed after being back on for several days (sufficient time for the salt to dissolve).

The unit came with the house which is about 15 years old (I've been here for about 8, and the softener has not worked as long as I've been here), so it could not have been working for more than about 7 or 8 years assuming the original owners installed it when they moved in.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out what else to do other than chunk it and get a new one.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-01-09, 08:26 PM
On the 440 timers, the regen gear will break a tooth off and not allow the unit to regen. In this manual they call it an indicator knob. Look at where the teeth have no backing. They tend to snap off a tooth or two. http://www.ewateronline.net/images/p...l_255-440i.pdf
Check this site for the part. They have it listed as Gear Black/White part # 420b52 Softenerparts.com Autotrol Repair Parts

Old 07-04-09, 07:39 AM
B
The timer teeth look fine and it seems to cycle ok.

I think the problem is a clog in the brine intake somewhere.
There is no suction in the brine line during the brining stage and it seems that the water level in the brine tank has risen slightly each cycle.

I'm hoping there is simply a clog that I can clean out somewhere.

Any idea how many gallons of brine are used during a cycle?

Old 07-04-09, 10:29 AM
When the unit goes into a draw cycle, the drain water slows to about 1/3 gpm. If it does not slow, the flappers may be leaking by. Insure that you have the injector in properly and fully. The thich flat end is facing out. Chech the drain for a restriction.

Old 07-05-09, 06:25 PM
B
Well...I'm not sure what to do.

I disconnected the outlet end of the drain and blew through it, and I could see the water coming out of the inlet where the valve assembly sits, so I'm pretty sure it's not clogged.
I've thoroughly cleaned the injector, screen, and valve assembly.
My water pressure meter was reading 48 psi in the line.

Still...I'm getting absolutely no suction in the brine line.

I was going to swap the valve with my neighbor's to see if the problem is truly in the valve, but his bypass valve is messed up and we can't take his off, so that idea didn't work.

I can't detect any kind of leak around the flappers...maybe I could flip them 180 degrees to get a better seal.

I don't know what else to do other than call the service guy again and see if he can fix it, or replace the valve. Either way, it's going to be a couple hundred bucks I guess.

Old 07-06-09, 05:25 AM
During the brine draw do you:
1. have water going into the brine tank?
2. have a slow flow to the drain?

Old 07-06-09, 02:57 PM
T
You won't be able to flip the valve disc 180 degrees, thier tabbed and thicker rubber on one side of them on most of them so they go in the correct way. They may be just worn or stiff where they need to be replaced. You could also be sucking air from a leaking salt dial but that would probally lead to the air check ball dropping during brine draw. Try putting pressure on the two large valve disc (inlet / outlet) when the unit is in brine draw (right to left looking at it from the front) and see if you can get them to close fully and if it draws brine then, replace the valve disc and add a "helper spring to the two already helping to close the two large disc. Good Luck TJ Hornet

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: