Water Softener Sizing Questions

Old 11-27-08, 10:56 AM
O
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Softener Sizing Questions

I am in the market for a water softener and have a couple of questions regarding the sizing requirements. My water comes from a private well with a hardness of 28gpg, iron is <0.5ppm, there are currently two adults in the house with children planned for the future. The house has 2 full bathrooms, dishwasher, clothes washer, 1 utility sink, 1 kitchen sink, no jacuzzi tubs or similar.

I am considering a ~48,000 grain softener (1.5cuft.) utilizing the Clack WS-1 control valve and regular mesh resin. This should allow me some adjust ability as my family grows and a sufficient Service Flow Rate of about 12gpm.

Any thoughts on this sizing? What is the minimum salt dose I could run and maximum number of days between regenerations with the current occupancy of two adults to maximize my salt efficiency.

Old 11-27-08, 11:27 AM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
A 48k softener will be good size. I just like computers on softeners. IMO electronics, salt and water don't mix. The Clack has not been around that long (8 years). It may be the best thing since sliced bread, but I use a Fleck 5600. It has a proven track record for dependability and reliability.

Old 11-27-08, 11:41 AM
O
Originally Posted by biermech View Post
A 48k softener will be good size. I just like computers on softeners. IMO electronics, salt and water don't mix. The Clack has not been around that long (8 years). It may be the best thing since sliced bread, but I use a Fleck 5600. It has a proven track record for dependability and reliability.
Thanks for the reply. I looked quickly at the Fleck Valves but liked the DIY ability of the Clack and the ease of adjustment of a computer system. How easily can you change salt doses, days between regenerations, etc on the fleck 5600 as required for the best salt efficiency as my family grows.

Old 11-27-08, 12:44 PM
A
Biermark

Sent you a PM.

Old 11-27-08, 05:00 PM
That's the best thing about the 5600 metered unit. You don't have to adjust it when your family grows. Once you set it, you forget it.

Old 11-28-08, 09:05 AM
O
Originally Posted by biermech View Post
That's the best thing about the 5600 metered unit. You don't have to adjust it when your family grows. Once you set it, you forget it.
Really? This is all new to me so I may be missing something. I was under the impression that to maximize my salt efficiency I would want to change my salt dosage and likely regeneration time as more people were using the system. If I originally set the softener to regenerate every 7 days then the people in my household double would the softener not run out of softened water earlier then expected and try to regenerate during the day when I may be using the water?

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-28-08, 10:51 AM
Maximize the salt efficiency so you can save 1 maybe 2 bags a year? I have better things to do than to constantly adjust my softener. With a metered unit, you don't adjust it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: