Need Advice re buying Kinetico Softener Used

Old 12-14-08, 12:44 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need Advice re buying Kinetico Softener Used

I am new here and I would appreciate some advice on an unusual situation.
My daughter is buying a house that needs a water softener. They will not close for several weeks and since the house is vacant it has been winterized so there is no way to test the water. The well and septic will be tested as part of the closing.

I have the opportunity to buy a 2 year old Kinetico 2060s softener with a Kinetico water filter now at a good price. If I wait until I know more about the water test I think it will sell and I will miss out on this deal. The sell wants $1,000 for the package. It was from his new house which was recently foreclosed, so it is not hooked up and has been stored for several months. It was on a well system just like what my daughter will have.

I am familiar with Kinetico softeners as I have two, one is over 25 years old and the other is 12 years old - no problems with either. I think this would be a great softener for my daughters house.

I can install myself and have a local Kinetico dealer come check it out after we know the water test results, or we can just hire them to install and set up.

What should I look for when I inspect this unit? Since it is not hooked up it would be difficult to evaluate how it works.

Is there any danger with the unit freezing if they did not empty it when it was removed and stored?
Is the price for the package reasonable?
Anything else on it I should check out or ask?

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-14-08, 02:33 PM
A
There is always some risk when buying used water equipment regarless of age or make. However, Kinetico is one of the few that can be pretty reliable and can be repaired to perform like new.

As your experience reveals, it would be a great investment. Even if her water is far worse than a 2060 can handle, you can find a buyer and probably get more than your money back.

Look at the lens on top. If it is clear, then the softener has probably been working well. Also, look at the in/out ports. The in post should be 'dirty' and the out port clean.

There is no danger with the unit 'freezing' unless some unusual shipping or storage incident occured. Some adjustments will needed when setting up for her water conditions. Ge the water tested and tell us what number disk is on top.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 12-16-08, 09:29 AM
E
Andy - Thank you for the response and information.

I picked up the used Kinetico 2060s yesterday. It has a Kinetico label with "mach" on the tank - not sure if that means a different model or feature. The unit was as you described, with the top lens dial window clear with a #4 disk. The in port was slightly dirty with scale and the out port was clean. As I feared the unit was frozen as there was some ice coming out of the open ports. The resin tanks were separated from each other. I made a deal with the seller to take the unit to test and only gave him a deposit. If it works I will pay the balance, if not I will return it and get my deposit.

The only way I can think of to test it is to hook it up to my house, effectivly replacing my current old Kinetico unit, since my daughter will not close on the house where this will end up for a few weeks. I can test for obvious leaks and manually cycle the unit. I thought I might test my water with my current unit and then test again after I install the one I just bought and compare the results.

Do you have any suggestions on any other way to test this unit? I am reluctant to take it to my local Kinetico dealer since thier results could be biased.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 12-16-08, 05:46 PM
A
Good job!

No, the best way to test a unit is to hook it up and run it thru its stages. You local dealer should be able to do that in hteir shop but, of course, there will be a service charge.

Freezig can creat hair-line fractures that won't appear until there is pressure involved.

The MACH and KS series will have different diameters (1.25" v 1") of plumbing, so some additional plumbing parts will be needed.

Are you including a prefilter? Use high quality salt only.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 12-21-08, 05:31 PM
E
Andy - Update on the used Kinetico 2060s:
I hooked the unit up in place of my old Kinetico and tested it. As feared, it is not working properly. Everything appears fine in the manual regeneration tests except it is not drawing brine from the salt tank. I read numerous threads on this forum regarding this problem and performed the tests suggested. The pickup / float mechanism in the salt tank is very clean and appears to be fine. During the brine cycle I disconnected the brine tube from the softener head and there was no suction. There was a slow flow of water coming out instead. I did not take the head / flow valve unit apart.

I took the softerer head / meter device off to take it to my local dealer for testing / repair. By chance, I noticed a dark ball bearing out of what appears to be plastic in the salt tank. In another thread I read that there are two ball bearings in the lower level of the unit so this may be the problem.

The unit did have a Kinetico prefilter installed in the original installation. Since I am currently on city treated water in this test location I did not see the need for the prefilter. I used high quality salt in the test, but I am not sure what the prior owner used.

I believe whatever is wrong with the brine draw problem was probably a result of the freezing. My assumption is that the unit can be repaired or rebuilt.

Guess I wait and see what the dealer finds in the repair since I do not know what else to test and I would not know what to look for if I took the unit apart.

To be continued....

Old 12-21-08, 06:01 PM
A
Thanks foir the update. If the dealer has a test bench, they should be able to get it back in good order. While the valve is off, check the resins. Frozen resin may be damaged.

Getting them replaced may be a good idea also. Put 0.7 cuft in each tank.

Thanks for the update.

Andy Chrstensen, CWS-II

Old 01-06-09, 09:18 AM
E
Update on Used Kinetico

Andy:
Took the head to my local dealer to get it checked out and repaired. They were very helpful and taught me a lot about the unit. It was set up for tannin and they said that the former owner apparently did not use an additive (citric acid?) that you should add to the salt on a tannin unit to prevent scaling. I soaked the unit in CLR before I took it in and there was a lot of bubbling as it dissolved the scale and it got rid of almost all of the scale. The dealer took the unit apart and checked everything out which was fine. They then did a bench test and everything worked perfectly. Only $65 for the work and the education on the unit.

Next step is to get the well water tested when my daughter gets access to the house before closing. I will send you the results and would greatly appreciate your feedback on how to set up the unit for her water conditions, including what disc to use, the float settings and whether or not I need to change the tannin resin.

Thanks again for your help so far and I will get back with you as soon as I get the test results.

Old 01-06-09, 03:01 PM
A
You're welcome. Let me know the water test results. Some minor adjustments mught be needed.

Do you an RO, too?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 05-19-09, 01:01 PM
E
Update - 5 Months later!
Andy - We had the water tested in January and the nitrates were 13.9 mg/L, well above the 10 mg/L limit. Short version of a long story - the seller of the house (bank) had to put in a new well before my daughter bought the house. New well tested ok and they closed on the house. After the system was sanitized and we took some time to flush the system out, I had the water retested.

Here are the results:
Hardness 21 gpg
Iron 1 ppm
TDS 700 ppm
ph 7.2
Tannin 2 ppm
Nitrates 2

The used unit I am going to install is a Kinetico Mach 2060s which was also set up for tannin with the anion resin / mixed resin bed. It currently has a #4 disk in the head. I am also installing a sediment prefilter.

Please let me know if my #4 disk is ok or if not, what the settings should be for that and the float valve. With the tannin reading of 2 ppm, I assume I should keep the anion resin also.

Thanks again for your help!.

Old 05-20-09, 06:37 PM
A
Originally Posted by elklake View Post
Update - 5 Months later!
Andy -

Here are the results:
Hardness 21 gpg
Iron 1 ppm
TDS 700 ppm
ph 7.2
Tannin 2 ppm
Nitrates 2

Please let me know if my #4 disk is ok or if not, what the settings should be for that and the float valve. With the tannin reading of 2 ppm, I assume I should keep the anion resin also.

Thanks again for your help!.
Yes, that disk will work just right. It will regenerate every 300 gallons. Hope it works out for you.

Andy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: