Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Some Softener Questions. Water tested

The plumbing supply near my house told me I have these water specs:
TDS 450ppm
Iron 2.0 ppm
Hardness 27 gpg
5 people's usage
He also told me that with my water consumption (5 people) I will need an 80,000 grain unit. He said this will regenerate about every 3 days and will use approximately 18lbs of salt per regen.

He recommended a whole house filter with a 20 micron filter before the softener.
I'll be ordering a softener this week.

My questions are:

1.Do you guys agree with his recommendations based on the water results?

2. Can anybody recommend a Fleck model that will fit my needs and still be somewhat efficient with water on the regeneration?

He recommended a Fleck 25mt.

Thanks for any help.

Tom Toro

Old 12-18-08, 05:08 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I'm old school. I was taught that 1 cu ft of resin has 30,000 grains of removal using 15 b salt. The grains of removal per day based on 5 people using 75 gpd average is 10,125. With a 2 cu ft unit, at the efficiency setting of 40,000 grains using 16 lbs salt, the unit would regen about every 4 days using 120 lb a month. His way, you would use 180 lbs per month. With the prefilter before the unit, you would have to clean or replace it more often. Is there a lot of sediment in the water?

The Fleck 2510 metered valve or the 5600 metered valve will work just fine.

Old 12-18-08, 07:38 PM
A
With your water conditions and number of people I would recommend a twin-tank system.

I calculate softener setting by including iron. I factor iron by 3 so 3 x 2 is 6. 6+27 is 33 compensated hardness (CH). This will increase your salt dosage a bit but will give better assurance that bleed-thru won't occur. Iron is very tenacious and needs to be included in the setting calculations.

With five people, your water use will vary greatly from day to day.

I would recommend a Kinetico 2100 or a Fleck 9100 twin.

There are many benefits with a twin-tank system a they give seemless service, even during regeneration. They regen with softened water.

Anyway, it's better to over estimate your water use and hardness setting than cutting yourself short, if you go with a single-tank system.

I would recheck your water tests; your TDS numbers don't match.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 12-19-08, 07:04 AM
T
Well, I ended up going with a Fleck 5600 metered 96,000 grain unit. I opted for the fine mesh resin and a sediment filter before the ws with a 20 micron filter.

I plan on re-routing my 'waste line' into a drywell instead of into my septic tank as my old one was.

I seriously thought about the 9100, but after measuring, didn't have the room. I really liked the idea of never running out of softened water because my aquariums need water replenishment 24/7.

I ended up adding another 10 instead of 6 and came up with 37. The 80k unit just fit the bill and I thought the 96k would give me a little buffer.

I didn't know if I should've opted for the stainless steel or plastic adapters so I got the stainless steel. Lots of guessing here.

Should be here Monday or Tuesday. Sure hope it's enough softener for my usage.

Thanks for the help you guys and also thanks for talking me into the water test. I don't know what the heck I was thinking.

Best Regards and Merry Christmas,
Tom

Old 12-20-08, 08:23 AM
A
Your choice of equipment should serve you well. My only reservation would be the stainless steel tank. I have seen corrosion problems with those after a few years. Not sure, but make sure your plumbing is grounded to avoid electrolysis.

Since you opted fro fine mesh resins, your salt dosages may need to be adjusted. Actually, fine mesh has better results in hardness removal but may also cause slightly more pressure loss during high volume flow. It shouldn't be a big problem.

How is your dry well set up? Are you in a southern location?

Have you considered an RO for drinking water?

Best of the holidays...

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 12-20-08, 10:27 PM
T
Hey Andy,
I miswrote about the stainless steel item. It was actually the bushing or attachment the softener hooks up to the copper pipe. They offered a plastic or stainless steel. I didn't have a clue. I'll ground it for safety sake.

My dry well will be dug into the ground 42" (our frost line) a plastic 55g barrel with holes cut into it and a pea gravel bed of 12". I live in Michigan.

I do have two reverse osmosis with DI units operating for my aquariums. My wife is insisting we get one for the drinking water too. Still looking into a good quality unit for this. I'd really like to hook this up to my refridgerator ice maker and in door water dispenser. Still checking out how to do this.

Thanks for all the help, Andy,

Tom Toro

Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Your choice of equipment should serve you well. My only reservation would be the stainless steel tank. I have seen corrosion problems with those after a few years. Not sure, but make sure your plumbing is grounded to avoid electrolysis.

Since you opted fro fine mesh resins, your salt dosages may need to be adjusted. Actually, fine mesh has better results in hardness removal but may also cause slightly more pressure loss during high volume flow. It shouldn't be a big problem.

How is your dry well set up? Are you in a southern location?

Have you considered an RO for drinking water?

Best of the holidays...

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 01-11-09, 02:03 PM
T
Just an update.

I'm very happy with my Fleck 5600sxt 96,000 grain fine mesh softener. We installed the whole house filter before the softener with a 20micron filter. I've notieced a small drop in pressure, but my plumber said he'll take care of that with the well adjustment and the new holding tank I'm getting.

It only regenerated once since 12-30-08 so it's got lots of punch and I've been using quite a bit of water recently with the new aquarium.

The womenfolk that live here are very happy with the softened water and I like the quiet. The dishes are very clean and so are the showers.

This is a great forum and I want to thank all that helped me through this. I appreciate going into a large sale well informed and you guys helped me do that.

Thanks again and Happy New Year,

Tom Toro

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: