Advice in selecting the best system

Old 12-20-08, 09:20 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice in selecting the best system

Hello and thanks in advance for any advice.

We recently moved into a new home (new construction) and need to get a water treatment system.

The house has well water and we had the following results from a water test:
Hardness: 38 mg/l
Total dissolved solids: 55 mg/L
Iron: 0.02 mg/l
PH: 6.0
As for usage, for 2/3 of the year it will be just my wife and I. We also have 3 children in college, so we are up to 5 people on college break and over the summer. 3 in college is also driving us to look for an economical solution!
We had a local company come out and gave us an estimate to install a Kinetico system that includes the following:
K2030 twin tank softener
C1500 acid neutralizer
3 bags crystal 7
8 bags salt
Total cost $3,365 including installation and tax.
Questions:
1) Does this system seem appropriate for our situation? (usage and solving both hardness and low PH)
2) The price seems a bit high; I would like to purchase the items and do the install myself, but have not found a place to purchase Kinetico products on-line for wholesale prices. Is there a Flecks system that would be comparable? They seem to be more available to buy on-line.
3) We will be doing a lot of landscaping and grass watering in the spring, so I was thinking the outside hose bibs should be diverted from the system to reduce salt usage. Should I still run the outside water through the PH neutralizer?

Thanks!

Old 12-20-08, 10:41 AM
A
The system quoted will work very well. I assume that the AN is an electric system with a 10x54" tank, right? What is the media in the AN system? Calcite? Or a mixture? Is it a timer or a demand system?

The twin-tank system will be extremely efficient and reliable system. It comes a with a ten-year warranty but it will last of decades. You won't regret going with the Kinetico.

Actually, your prices are less than what they are in my area.
As far as outside plumbing, if you connect it through the AN but not the softener, then your media, which is exhausteable, will need to be replenished more often. It's not a difficult but needs to be monitored.

With your water use varying through out the year, a twin tank will serve as an advantage.

Good luck with your choices.
Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 12-21-08, 06:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That price is too high. You can get a Fleck system (both softener and neutralizer) for half the price. You will not be able to find any Kinetico parts or product sold on the net. They are sold only from dealers. Just because you have a varying amount of water use does not mean you need a twin tank system. You do not use your water 24/7. A meter demand unit will keep up with your changing water needs.

Old 12-21-08, 09:21 AM
C
Thank you both for the quick response.

biermech - good point about the metered systems handling the change in usage

AndyC - I don't have a lot of detail on the Kinetico AN system. I know the softener is the Mach series 2030, which is not electric. I will inquire about the AN system.
Is there an advantage / disadvantage to a timer vs. demand system? Would you recommend calcite or a mixture for the media?

Old 12-21-08, 09:36 AM
A
AN filters can come in backwashing types (metered or timered valves) and upflow types. Maybe you weren't clear which you use. It is a good idea to backwash AN media fairly regularly as to avoid channeling, so a timer unit will keep it active and fresh, espeically if you have extended periods of low water use.

Yes, you will get a cheaper unit if you go with Fleck. Warranties and life expectancies often go hand in hand with quality. I'm going to get into the old "nobody needs water at 2AM" argument because that is never the issue to begin with.

It's your water and your home. Don't cut yourself short for upfront low price. Look beyond initial investment. Kinetico is a high quality unit and will last you for a very long time.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: