water softener problem

Old 12-21-08, 01:59 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
water softener problem

I have a Kinetico water softener system which was installed in 1989[ brown tanks] and has been without fault.Lately,though,the water is barely softened.I have manually recycled the unit twice.I added a cup of bleach to the black tube in the salt canister.This has not helped. Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thank You

Old 12-21-08, 05:20 PM
A
Is you salt going down? What model do you have? Water are your water conditions?

Old 12-21-08, 06:40 PM
R
ralphs

yes,salt is going down.The model is K-60.The well water conditions before the softener are 28GPH and 2.5 iron.

Old 12-21-08, 08:37 PM
A
Over the years, the resin volume may have depleted somewhat. Also, with yoiur high iron, some of the resins may have become fouled a little. This will decrerase the capacity somewhat.

Why did you add bleach to the brine drum? How do you recycle it manually?

Old 12-22-08, 07:01 AM
R
I added the bleach at the advice of my local plumber.He said he could re-bed my tanks if the media level is low,but I tried to determine the media level by shining a flashlight through the tank , but it is too dense to see the light through the tank.The way I recycled the tank[ I may be using an incorrect term]is to push down the screw on the top of the tank unit and turn it clockwise until I hear it working.

Old 12-22-08, 07:31 AM
A
Can you disconnect the units? If so, unscrew the tops and check the resins out. At 20 years of good service, it would not be a bad idea to rebed them anyway. Those old tanks are difficult to 'see' through.

What is the condition of your brine tank? Is it clean at the bottom or pretty dirty? Is there a prefilter?

Let me know when you get that far. You should sanitize the tanks when empty.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 12-22-08, 04:15 PM
R
I haven't disconnected the tanks yet, but here is something I'm wondering about.My salt tank is nearly dry, maybe a 1/2 inch or so of water in the bottom.Is this normal?I have run the timer through its' cycle and nothing adds water to the salt tank.I can't see the bottom of the salt tank because of the salt.I do have a prefilter that I change monthly.It is a 20 micron filter.

Old 12-22-08, 04:38 PM
A
There should be a grid-plate about 4" off the bottom and the water normally rises about 1" above that.

there is no timer with this unit. It is non-electric.

Old 12-24-08, 02:03 PM
R
maybe this info will help[I really appreciate your help]you diagnose my problem.The brine tank appears to have a perforated disc about 4" from the the bottom of the tank just as you said.The water level is about 1" above the disc.I pulled out the brine tank valve and stuck it in a bucket of water.Then I cycled the control on the top of the resin tank through each cycle.There was no suction of water and no dispelling of water in any cycle.any help?

Old 12-26-08, 07:33 AM
R
please disregard my last message.I will update shortly.

Old 12-26-08, 07:41 AM
R
O.k. heres the latest and thanks for your patience.I removed the float valve and manually cycled the control.On "backwash".water flows into the salt tank through the small black tube.On "brine rinse" water is sucked out of the salt tank through the small black tube.I assume then, that the controls are o.k.----right? Now I took the float valve which consists of two styrofoam discs and a tube with a small loose magnet inside the tube.I filled the float valve with water and it ran through the valve.Then I slid the valve closed and water still ran through it. ----is my float valve inoperative or am I missing something...Thanks

Old 12-26-08, 10:05 AM
A
You have the very old style floats control. The newer ones use a plastic cup as the float and the assmebly is better made for adjustments.

You might want to upgrade it.

The best way to determine if it is working is to put it onto service and see if water comes and goes out of the brine drum.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 12-31-08, 10:28 AM
R
Thanks so much for the help, Andy C. I installed a new float valve [ rather pricey at $79.50], but nothing is cheap anymore.Except your advice,which was very helpful.I had the water checked yesterday and it was fine.Thanks again....you saved me a $139 service call.

Old 12-31-08, 05:22 PM
A
GREAT! Keep me posted and let me know if I can help out again.

Did they pre-set it for you? It was quite different frim the old one, wasn't it?

Take care.
Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: