Kinetico 60 uses too much salt

Old 01-19-09, 08:37 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kinetico 60 uses too much salt

My system uses too much salt, about 10 bags every 3 weeks.

Last week, I just noticed that a fully filled brine tank with salt pelletes about 2 days back had become half empty and there was water right upto the top of the tank and the regeneration seemded to be going on for ever.

Shutdown the system by bypassing the water. Installed a RO filter for now, but still there is brown coloration in the tub and sink.

Will cleaning the brine tank and subsequently changing the resin help me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-20-09, 02:37 PM
A
Make VERY sure that there is NO running water anywhere.

You water should not make it to the top because there is an overflow port on the tank preventing it from doing that.

If the softener is continuously regenerating then a pawl or geat tooth may be broken. How old is the unit?

Can you give more detail on your unit model? Water conditions? Typical water use...number of people?

Becareful, with the softener in by-pass the RO will suffer.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 01-20-09, 04:10 PM
M
The kinetico 60 is about 24 years old. We just moved into this house about 4 months back. The hardness on a test done a while back was around 18.

I just purchased a water test kit from Home Depot today. I will check to see what the rest of the number are.

The number of people is usually 3, myself, my wife and my 5 year old son. My wife stays at home. My son is at school about 4 hours, 5 days a week. Right now we had family visiting and during the holidays we had about 4 extra people but they have left now.

The water rising over the level of salt happened only a few days back meaning we are down to only 3 people now.

Also, I see the overflow port on the side of the brine tank leaking, but the water still had made it to the top. I removed the water on top with a pail and refilled with salt. On calling a contractor, he suggested I turn the system off and get a new one. So, it is turned off now, the RO is used only for drinking water. Rest of the house is on hardwater for now until I fix the softener.

Old 01-20-09, 05:18 PM
A
Well, two-and-a-half decades is not bad. It can be rebuilt and rebedded and made 'like new'.

There is a metering device that has gone bad and something is not shutting off the brine fill. Both can be relatively simple fixes.

Yes, you can get rid of it and get a new softener but this one can be completely gone over and you may get another quarter century out of it.

Old 01-21-09, 06:15 AM
M
Thank you Andy

Thanks for your prompt replies Andy. I am quite handy - have changed my water heater and installed a RO filter under sink.

Can you please help me with gathering the repair manual to rebuild.

Also where can I get parts for the unit. I am more inclined to rebuild simply because of the longevity (and much lower cost to rebuild) of the unit as opposed to getting a Clack WS-1 as recommended on some of the forums as the best DIY water softener.

Thanks again.

Old 01-21-09, 04:10 PM
A
I sent you a private message.

Thanks, Andy

Old 11-27-09, 09:08 AM
R
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Well, two-and-a-half decades is not bad. It can be rebuilt and rebedded and made 'like new'.

There is a metering device that has gone bad and something is not shutting off the brine fill. Both can be relatively simple fixes.

Yes, you can get rid of it and get a new softener but this one can be completely gone over and you may get another quarter century out of it.
i'm suddenly having the same leaking problem from the overflow connector on back side of salt tank. No drain hose connected to it either. First time i've seen this on this unit in the 24 years we've had it. Head was rebuilt but that's been about 10 years ago. What do i do to remedy the leak, and why is it leaking from overflow tube in first place?

Old 11-27-09, 10:52 AM
A
The brine draw valve is stuck open. I may need a new o-ring set. Or the backwashing metering gear is not stopping. Coiuld be something preventing it from going through its cycle.

You can remove the top level and rinse it out and make sure the gears spin freely. Are you willing to try that.

If not, you'll need a service call.

Andy Christensen

Old 11-28-09, 11:53 AM
R
thanks Andy. The "top level" you refer to is the see through plastic covering the gears, or the black top of the unit?? Also, have any opinion on the EZ Water unit i see advertised on TV?
Mark

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: