Kinetico with no salt tank

Old 01-22-09, 01:35 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kinetico with no salt tank

Trying to figure out how my system works. My problem is the 1 micron 10" pleated paper filters are needing replacement more and more often. When I moved in 8 years ago about every 3 months now every 1 month. My system: Kinetico K-100 ceramic, dual tank with a 1 micron filter after the tanks, then a K-100 uc neutralizer filled with calcite, then a 20" string filter. Installed in 1999. The calcite is to raise the low pH of my well water. My raw water analysis from Kinetico: 2 gpg hardness, 1.0 ppm iron, 6.0 pH.

Does anybody else have a system without a salt tank for the backwashes? Does this make sense. Kinetico assures me it does. My filter clogs with what my well guy says is mud, his very technical term, it is very fine brown material that doesn't have any grit feel to it, and I'm trying to figure out if the Kinetico tanks are still doing their job. I took apart one tank and it seems like the ceramic media is loose and clean. Also I wonder if there is some kind of pre tank filter I might install that can remove much of this mud without the use of a $15 paper filter, their cost is starting to add up.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-09, 06:19 PM
A
Maybe this will nelp.

The media in the backwashing filter is called Macrolite, which filters down to 3-5 microns. I don't really see the need for the one-micron filter. But, since it is a pleated type, it can be washed and reused for a few times. I would try without it.

Also, I don't see the need for a 20-mircon post filter. What condition is that in when you remove it? If anything, put the one-micron filter as the last filter, not the first.

Yes, there are many other types of backwashing filters, most are single tank units with time or electronic demand valves. FilterAg media filters down to about 20 microns. The Kinetico dual-tank system filters with both tanks at the same time except during backwashing and backwashes with filtered water.

Andy Christesnen, CWS-II

Old 01-23-09, 07:08 AM
C
Thanks for the reply, so my system is really a filter only, not a softener. Makes sense. So the Macrolite should never need replacing as long as the backwashing cleans it? The string filter appears to catch particles of calcite from the neutralization tank. I only have to change it every 3 months. I have tried cleaning the pleated filters but the fine mud doesn't seem to come off. Is there a cleaner solution or certain method I should use? I have tried not using the 1 micron filter but then the water at the tap is cloudy and not wife approved. Thanks.

Old 01-23-09, 03:37 PM
A
I see.

No, you don't have a softener.

If your water does need to be filtered down to 1-micron then it should be at the end of your string of equipment, not at the beginning.

Washable filters will not become 'clean' in a like-new condition. There will be staining and discoloration. Use medium pressure water spray (from a garden hose) and clean the filter. The filter can be used a number of times but eventually the fiber will deteriorate. Change to new.

Again, don't use a one-micron up front.

Andy Christenen, CWS-II

Old 01-24-09, 01:09 PM
C
Thanks for the help AndyC. I just had an idea of what my problem might be. I had drained the water from one of my two filter tanks and just realized the level of the macrolite seems way low. The tank is 10" dia. and 54" tall but the macrolite only came up to about 18". According to all I can find on this site the normal fill for a softener tank is 1/2 to 5/8 full. Should my filter tanks also be about that full? This would explain why I have had to change post filters more and more frequently over time. I'm losing macrolite. Should there be a screen in the outflow of the backwashing that prevents this? I will talk to Kinetico Monday about this and see how much additional macrolite is. I fear the cost since it only seems I can buy it from them. Is there a possibly cheaper alternative that filters down to 5 microns? If my math is right I should need about 1.2 cubic feet of media per tank. Also I have hosed off the last filter used and will try it, thanks.

Old 01-24-09, 02:38 PM
A
Actually, it seems all is in order. Each tank hold 0.7 cuft of Macrolite, or about 18" and there is no basket, or screen, at the top. This is to allow sand and other particles to backwash out easily. But ask you Kinetico dealer to show you data/specs sheet.

The depth of this filter media is not as imporant as the top surface area for flow and filtering and backwashing volume.

Hope this helps,
Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 01-27-09, 07:33 AM
C
You are right AndyC. I talked to kinetico and they said I should have 20" of media in my tanks. So it appears my filtering system is working properly, I will talk to my well guy again to see if he can move the pump position in my well or something else short of a new well to minimize the amount of mud in my water.

I thank you again for your help.

Old 01-27-09, 07:41 AM
A
You're welcome. Let me now if you need more info.

Andy