Fleck 7000 1 1/4 inch Installation Cost?

Old 01-22-09, 08:18 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fleck 7000 1 1/4 inch Installation Cost?

Hello,

I just found this forum and look for inputs from experts. My wife and I just bought a new house last year. We have been wanting to put a Water Softener system for a while. We had the Culligan and Rayne stop by and quote around $2700. Then my neighbour bought the Fleck 7000 system for about $650 and had it installed by a local plumber. The plumber charged aroud $530 to install.

I am looking to go the same route but find the $530 to install on the high side. My new house already is pre-plumbed and has a loop to connect the softener. The pipes are 1 1/4" so the Fleck 7000 choice.

My question is

- what will a true cost be for install?
- What grain softener should I buy (2 people with at times guests for total of 5 ppl. hardness max is about 15)?
- Also, is it a must to have an RO system? We have been using the filtered water from fridge and have had no problem.

I am in the SF Bay Area, so if anyone has any local suggestions, please suggest PM or email me.

Thanks

Old 01-23-09, 11:10 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Being in SF, I can see why the high price. Since the home already has a "loop", cost should be around $200.00. Was there a drain installed at the loop? If not, could be the reason for the high cost.

A 30k or 45k will do well. I take it your are on city water? As far as an RO's is concerned, do you want to have peace of mind when drinking the water? Water can become contaminated very quickly (city or well). Does the chlorine in the city water bother you? The chlorine will take it toll on all water using applicances.

Thoughts to think about.

Old 01-23-09, 08:34 PM
C
Yeah there is a drain in the wall.... that can be used. So will Chlorine too destroy the appliances? So I need an RO for the entire house? yes I am in city water.. SO an RO system would fix the contaminated water?

Old 01-24-09, 05:49 AM
Sorry I was unclear. Chlorine oxidizes rubber and some plastic componets. Having a carbon filter first in line then a softener will protect anything up stream. The carbon filter will also improve the taste of the water as well. I like the RO's but don't think it is necessary in all cases.

Old 01-24-09, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
A carbon filter works well at removing chlorine but there are different trains of though on their use.

Chlorine may not that pleasant to have at all your taps but you need to appreciate that it is added for a reason.
When you remove it ahead of a softener you will be removing any protection you have against bacteria.
Modern softeners have some ability to withstand normal municipal chlorination so shortened life should not be a problem.
Also, if you were to use a carbon filter for all your water consumption, especially on a 1 1/4" line your replacement filter costs will be very high.

A common filtration strategy is to use a sediment filter on your incoming line and then install a carbon filter along with either a ceramic or RO system for drinking on a separate tap.

If you do use a carbon filter you need to be aware that carbon filters need faithful maintenance.
Because they do remove chlorine there is a risk of bacteria growth, especially in low volume and stagnant installations.

We have several qualified people here and maybe they will come along to offer their perspective.

Old 01-24-09, 12:56 PM
When I referred to a carbon filter, I was talking about a 1 cu ft unit with a backwashing valve. Yes you do run the risk of having bacteria but it must be introduced. In a closed system, It would have to come from the city.

Old 01-26-09, 06:09 PM
C
Thank you for the inputs. The taste of water or chlorine does not bother me. What really bothers is the white stain marks in the house on the granite etc. Also want to make sure the hard water does not ruin the appliances...

I was thinking of the RO system on a seperate Tap as well. Just not sure if we want it or not as we dont have it now.

Still want to see how I can reduce cost on installation..

Old 01-27-09, 07:07 PM
Install it yourself. That is if your are a handy kinda guy. It's not that hard.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: