Kinetico Mach 2100 S water softener regeneration problem

Old 01-24-09, 06:59 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kinetico Mach 2100 S water softener regeneration problem

I have a Kinetico Mach 2100 S water softener. This is the newer model series from Kinetico. I have had it for less than a year, and was manufactured around June 2005.
The major problem with it is when the Kinetico Mach 2100S regenerates, our water becomes brown and extremely salty while the unit is regenerating.
This is annoying and we dont know what it is exactly we are drinking due to this. It apparently is the brine and the backwash , which is not good.
Would anyone know what valve / piston / o-ring, etc is the possible source of this problem on the Kinetico Mach model ?
We bought the Kinetico expecting it to be an improvement over other models, but this is a big problem with it doing this.

Also, since we live in Florida and have very high chlorine levels in our county water, I would like to consider doing a re-build of the interior parts of the control valve if it would not cost too much more than just fixing the current problem. I have read that there is a Kinetico 'chlorine kit' for high chlorine water areas like ours, which has the parts made of better materials to resist chlorine.

If there is a way to get Kinetico parts, that would be ideal, since I have rebuilt the GE water softener valve many times, so I am handy, but I know that this would be a learning curve for me. I have not rebuilt a kinetico.

Also, anyone have experience in cost estimates to any similar fixes, labor and / or parts.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has comments or experience.

Old 01-25-09, 09:05 AM
A
Is the rest of the service working OK?

Thee adjustments may be simplier than you think. It may be that your salt dosage is too high and can be reduced. Since you have had it less than a year, it should still be under warranty. Have you called the dealer about this?

Sometimes low feed pressure can cause this problem. What is your water psi? Do you have a prefilter? Is it a Kinetico prefilter or a generic one? Make sure the prefilter is not clogged.

Dechlorinator is any device that removes chlorine from the water. Typically, this is done by a carbon filtration unit. Rule of thumb is the more carbon there is the better the flow rate and longer the service.

What is your water hardness. I was wondering why you have a 2100 model on rural water supplies. What is the number of the disk at the top of the valve? If your system is not properly set up, you be getting the problems you are describing.

Hopefully this will be a simple fix, let me know.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 01-25-09, 12:31 PM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm not sure if they've made improvements over the years (been many since I've worked with them) so this is just a suggestion.

Back when, if you used the water during regeneration, you would get that water depending on the cycle. Which is why we would set the regen time for 2-3am or whenever the customer was most likely not to be using the water(digital heads) or cheat the time for the ones that have a "set" time.

Some times, the clock would get off time and make it regenerate and the wrong time, etc.

Old 01-25-09, 12:55 PM
A
Originally Posted by wirenut1110 View Post
I'm not sure if they've made improvements over the years (been many since I've worked with them) so this is just a suggestion.

Back when, if you used the water during regeneration, you would get that water depending on the cycle. Which is why we would set the regen time for 2-3am or whenever the customer was most likely not to be using the water(digital heads) or cheat the time for the ones that have a "set" time.

Some times, the clock would get off time and make it regenerate and the wrong time, etc.
Thanks, but Kinetico doesn't work that way. It produces treated water while in backwash. There are no timers, clocks, or electronic components. You can't set it to regen at any particular time of day.

Andy Chrsitensen, CWS-II

Old 01-25-09, 01:47 PM
B
Water supply, salt amounts , pre-filter, latest theory

Hello Andy and all,

We are on city water supply, and they provide about 65 psi to us, so that pressure is good. I also have the brine valve set on about 6 lbs per recharge, and have verified this over time by checking the amount of salt I put in, divided by the number of regenerations we go through to use that amount of salt. So that is not the problem, as we are using about 6 lbs for each recharge.

I have changed out the prefilter cartridge recently and the unit still had the same problem right after that. Could you give me more info on this possibility....... is it that there would not be enough flow to do the backwash in the period of time alloted by the cycle ? I doubt this is the case, ( since right after I change out the pre-filter there is a huge amount of flow through it, and the Kinetico still had the problem .)

Once the regen cycle is over , then we run the water and the brown-ness and super saltiness disappears pretty rapidly. If we dont run the water at all during regeneration, then the problem is not evident, as it appears the backwash does its job and gets rid of the saltiness by the end of the re-gen.

This unit was on another house in florida, but those people went onto city water, and did not need it anymore. I changed the disk to a disk #1, and changed the brine valve setting when I got the unit so that its set up for our hardness ,which is about 11. I also had the full technical set up and installl directions that I followed to the letter, so I believe it was set up properly.

My current theory is whatever valves are responsible for switching between tanks do not operate properly, and the water in the tank that is being regenerated is mixing with the water from the " currently in use' tank. ( At the end of the cycle, the backwash has rinsed out the brine, so when using the water, the user does not know which tank he is drinking from. ) This theory is based on the 'symptoms' I see.

Please let me know what you think .

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 01-27-09, 08:26 PM
B
Summary :
Disk #1 in Kinetico 2100S
Water hardness about 11 .
Definitely use about 6 lbs per regeneration.

Water during recharge is cloudy / brownish and very salty.
Clears up as soon as recharge is done, and we run water a little.

Water is fine between recharges,

Any recommendations ?

Please help , thanks !!

Bob

Old 01-27-09, 08:54 PM
A
There is an intrusion in the valve during regeneration. This can be causes by a valve that doesn't close completely or the seal is broken. It could also be a crack in the inner part that normally separates treated water and brine water.

Once the cycle is finished the salt water is gone. Maybe a slight bit of hard water is leaking through during service. I would recommend the valve be disassembled and inspected. seals, o-rings and plungers be given a coat of silicone.

It's good that you have it on a disk one. That's over 1700 between cycles. Salt settings are either 5.5 05 7.5 lbs so it should be set on its most efficient setting (4600 grains per lb of salt) as it seems you have.

Do you have a manuals?

Andy

Old 01-28-09, 07:08 PM
B
Manual on disassembly

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your note. Thats right, its 1700 gallons between recharges with disk #1 and 5.5 ( I just round up to 6 lbs. salt in the note ) . I would love to disassemble the valve to inspect and lubricate the o-rings, but I dont have any manual to reference. Is there a manual available that shows disassembly, etc ?

thanks,

Bob

Old 01-29-09, 03:35 AM
A
Manual

I sent you a PM. You may be able to find the problem by taking it apart. Cracks can be difficult to see. Use only silicone meant for plumbing parts on seals and pistons.

Take care and good luck,
Andy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: