EcoWater ECR 3500 R30

Old 02-07-09, 06:07 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
EcoWater ECR 3500 R30

After having my water tested and finishing my research I've decided on the ECR 3500 R30.

I'd like to install it myself but I'm having trouble finding a place that will sell it to me wholesale . Can some of you folks point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

F

Old 02-07-09, 06:27 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I doubt you will find it whole sale. I've worked for Eco dealers. You may want to reconsider your choice. There are a lot of buildt in problems with Eco products. I was a service manager for 9+ years for Eco. I've seen a lot of problems.

Old 02-07-09, 08:20 AM
A
I can't speak one way or the other about EcoWater products but I do agree that reliability and durabilty are two key components of water treatment equipment. Ecowater systems are efficient and have some unique or special features if you find them to your needs.

Complicated electronics is a double-edged sword. What advantages they may provide can be offset by service problems.

What was your reason(s), after your research, that you felt excluded the competition (and what did you compare it to?)?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 02-07-09, 09:17 AM
G
We've had our water tested twice. Our only persistent problem is hardness. We scored an "8". Ph, magnesium, manganese, oxygen, were all fine, and there was too little iron to test. Based on 14 years in residence I know our iron content does go up occasionally.

From the folks I've talked to it's been recommended that we skip a water softener and go with a conditioner.

The reason I'm considering an EcoWater unit is their reputation. I've read numerous places where the big box stores use EcoWater systems with inferior parts. Am I way off base here?

Can you recommend a comparable unit to the 3500?

Thanks for all the information...

Frank

Old 02-07-09, 10:15 AM
A
You haven't said what your hardness is in either ppm or gpg but you say it IS the problem. If so, then don't listen to the local folks' tales.

Neither have you said whether you are on city water or well water. These are very basic parameters that need to be understood before recommendation can be made. TDS (total dissolved solids) can also be a big help. How little is little iron. It onlyu take 0.3 ppm to cause stains.

The term water 'conditioner' is ambiguous. It can mean nothing more than something that 'changes' water quality. Get as much information as possible whenever something is termed that you don't fully understand.

Again, what other systems are you comparing it to besides other EcoWater systems found in bigbox stores? Have considered any other national brands such as Culligan, Rainsoft, or Kinetico?

You may find it difficult to get a (new) cash-n-carry model. Installation is not difficult and should not be too expensive. At least the installer has to guarantee his work.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 02-07-09, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by garberfc View Post

From the folks I've talked to it's been recommended that we skip a water softener and go with a conditioner. Frank
Any filteration would be considered a conditioner. Whether it's removing hardness (water softener), removing chlorine or sediment.

Originally Posted by garberfc View Post
The reason I'm considering an EcoWater unit is their reputation. I've read numerous places where the big box stores use EcoWater systems with inferior parts. Am I way off base here? Frank
The big box stores sell a softener made by Eco. You can not find the 3500 valve in the big box stores. There are made for dealers only. Many of the parts will work on either system, but the 3500 is a different valve altogether. It is just a water softener. Nothing more.

I have worked on just about every valve made in the water treatment industry. I prefer the Fleck 5600 metered valve.

Old 02-07-09, 09:01 PM
J
Hello I have been quoted $3,800 (+6% Tax) for an ECR 3500 R30 from a local dealer in CT today. Is this a good price? any thoughts? Any input feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am new to the product and to this site.
Thanks

Old 02-08-09, 06:21 AM
Call around. I bet you find a company with a better product for a better price. You are paying for all the bells and whistles and it's not worth it. You could expect 20+ years from a Fleck 5600 and only pay $700.-$900.

Old 02-09-09, 05:47 PM
G
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
You haven't said what your hardness is in either ppm or gpg but you say it IS the problem. If so, then don't listen to the local folks' tales.
It's 8 gpg.

Neither have you said whether you are on city water or well water.
We have well water.

Again, what other systems are you comparing it to besides other EcoWater systems found in bigbox stores? Have considered any other national brands such as Culligan, Rainsoft, or Kinetico?
To be honest, I haven't considered these brands. I guess I have a lot more research to do.

Old 02-09-09, 05:52 PM
G
Originally Posted by juvefc View Post
Hello I have been quoted $3,800 (+6% Tax) for an ECR 3500 R30 from a local dealer in CT today. Is this a good price? any thoughts? Any input feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am new to the product and to this site.
Thanks
I live in CT as well. I had an installer work up a quote. He's quoting the ECR 3500 R30 for $3,100 installed. One of his big reasons for he and his equipment (EcoWater) is service and reliability. Service I can understand as he's local and should have parts in stock. I thought the reliability of the EcoWater was supposed to be first rate, but some of the posts on this thread speak otherwise.

Old 02-09-09, 06:56 PM
As I've stated before, I've had over 9 years as a service manager for an Eco dealership. The amount of bull**** problems I've seen is unreal. It got so bad that some dealers sued EcoWater for bad practices and won. The price is too high and the amount of service calls you will cost you more in the long run. If you feel that you are getting a deal, then do it. I don't have a grudge with EcoWater, I just know from experience they have a lot of problems. The dealer you buy from may treat you great, but except a lot of service calls.

Old 02-10-09, 05:55 AM
G
Thanks Biermech. Can you recommend other brands / models that perform similarly that seem to have fewer problems?

Thanks,

F

Old 02-10-09, 06:58 AM
Get a Fleck or Autotrol. I don't reccomend electronics on softeners. Seen too many bad thing happen to electronics.

Old 02-11-09, 06:18 PM
C
can i barge with a question please?

do these two systems/brands you mention create pure, drinkable water? i know that most water is already drinkable, but i am considering a reverse osmosis system on top of a softener, but wouldnt mind just getting one pieceof equipment with the appropriate bells and whistles perhaps, one that creates a premium quality drinking water.

thanks in advance for your time.

Old 02-11-09, 06:56 PM
G
Originally Posted by biermech View Post
Get a Fleck or Autotrol. I don't reccomend electronics on softeners. Seen too many bad thing happen to electronics.
The Fleck 5600 seems like a great control valve, but what about the rest? I see they also produce cabinets and tanks, but they appear to be for salt/softeners only.

Is this the case?

F

Old 02-11-09, 08:13 PM
All I sell is the Fleck 5600. I have been impressed with Fleck valves since 1990. I choose the 5600 because it does not have any electronics. I don't like electronics because I've seen what salt and water can do to them. Some of them do last, but when the electronics go out, it's costly to repair.

All ionic exchange water softeners use either salt or potassium as a regenerate. Potassium is about 3 times the cost of salt. So unless you are on a low sodium diet, use salt.

Old 02-14-09, 06:46 PM
C
softners and water pressure

please excuse my barge. i am shopping for a radon aeration system, softner, possible neutralizer (or carterige filter) and ro system. one of my concerns is water pressure. does anyone know which, the kinetico or ecowater softner, is better as far as pressure is concerned? i am considering the ecowater ecr 3500, and not sure yet the kinetico model that will be appropriate. my water pressure right now is just ok, 20yr old ecowater system in place now--no radon system in yet.

also, i was told by my ecowater rep that the ecr3500 would give me pure drinking water--actually, he said the radon (bubble up) and ecr3500 is all i will need. no r/o system necessary. somehow i dont believe that as he didnt address total disolved solids what-so-ever. i only learned of them from the kinetico rep...they are 445 after softner, 353 raw. anyone know the kinetico system that would be comprable (size) to the ecr3500?

thanks in advance for your time. i appreciate any response.

Old 02-15-09, 05:15 AM
Originally Posted by ctndn View Post

also, i was told by my ecowater rep that the ecr3500 would give me pure drinking water--actually, he said the radon (bubble up) and ecr3500 is all i will need. no r/o system necessary. somehow i dont believe that as he didnt address total disolved solids what-so-ever.
Ionic exchange resin will remove radon. Has anyone told you that? Water softeners use ionic exchange resin. So in other words, the softener you currently have is remove the radon. If neither rep has told you that, they are just out for a sale and not there to help you.

Old 02-16-09, 01:58 PM
C
thank you biermech,

no one did tell me that and i wonder why that is...maybe because our levels are currently far off the charts and we need it regardless?? our levels are 64,000. apparently my water is more dangerous than the radon gas that is my home. it is dangerous to shower in and breath in the kitchen when the dishwasher is running. we currently have an old ecowater softner, that is running fine, but it is 18yrs old and updating now vs in 3 years--well, what's the difference, really?? since we are putting in the aeration system, we figure why not create even softer water (than what our current system can make) to run through it, and maybe that will help to keep the expensive aeration system running smoother longer. who knows if that is the right choice or even what we will end up doing...

anyhow, in your experience, will i still need a r/o system? my tds was 445 after the softner, 353 raw. is there one piece of equipment that does more than any other? the ecowater rep had told me that his ecr3500 and the radon aeration system will give me drinkable water. i know i can drink it, but do i really want to? what happens to the solids with the ecr3500? isnt a r/o system unique in that aspect?

thanks for your time--i appreciate it much!!

Old 02-16-09, 05:53 PM
[QUOTE=ctndn;1523658]no one did tell me that and i wonder why that is...maybe because our levels are currently far off the charts and we need it regardless??QUOTE]

Or maybe they are trying to sell you something. Have you checked to see what the limits of a softener are for removing radon? Have you had your water tested "after" the softener for radon? Don't know what you were quoted, but I can imagine it's a high ticket price. Get yourself some peace of mind by investigating a little more.
As far as being able to drink the water after the softener, that is a matter of personal taste. Some people like the taste and some will not drink it unless it's from an ro.

Old 03-02-10, 05:24 PM
Ecr3500

I've had mine in service for over two years. Acquired with some stern haggling down to about $1800, which included a couple long prefilter housings. Did my own install and fixtured up my own bypass valve out of 3/4" copper and bronze ball valves.

Have processed 195,000 gallons of water with it under 18gpg hardness and 2.5 iron. System goes through a 50lb bag of NaCL every 30~35 days and has not malfunctioned to date. I do have it on a small UPS just in case the rural power gets interruped.

I was initially cautious about Ecowater as these are basically a high end Sears or vice versa, the sears are a low end version of the Ecowater.

So far so good.

I will say that with their larger dip tube design and flushing program, the brine dosing is more effective than the old Kinetico Model 30 I owned prior which ate considerably more salt per month.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: