Which one Fleck, Autotrol, or Clack ?

Old 02-07-09, 07:06 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Which one Fleck, Autotrol, or Clack ?

I want to get a water softener but I'm on a small budget. I was going to buy the GE model from Home Depot but after reading this forum it sounds like a bad idea.

I read in another post about the Fleck, Autotrol, and Clack. Which one would you guys recomend? Does anyone know of any pros and cons of each system?

I had Rainsoft come out but I just about dropped dead when he said $5900 plus $695 install for their system. He tested my water and said it was a 10 not sure what that means. I will need to have my water tested. I was looking to spend around $500 to $600. I will be installing it myself. I have been doing apartment maintenance for the last 20 years so the install should not be that hard for me. Today I started digging a trench from the back yard spicket to the front of the house where the water main comes in so I will have city water for my yard. I thought about using potasium but its $26 a bag and salt is $4.49 a bag.

I'm sure once I get my water tested I can figure out the size I need. I just don't know the differences between the different water softeners.

Any help would be great.

Thanks everyone
Jim

Old 02-07-09, 09:31 PM
J
So far I think I'll go with the Fleck 5600SXT On Demand 40,000 Grain Water Softener for $529 from discountwatersofteners.com.

I have a test kit for pools. I'm not sure if the test for hard water is correct but I came up with 80ppm so my water is 5.67 GPG. PH was 7.4 and alkalinity was 110ppm.

I did find this info about my city.

http://www.fresno.gov/NR/rdonlyres/C...lityReport.pdf

Thanks
Jim

Old 02-08-09, 07:15 AM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
A softener is measured by cubic feet or grains of removal. A 1 cubic foot unit has 30,000 grains of removal. So a 1/2 cf is 15k and a 1 1/2 is 45k. You will see some companies claiming there unit is a 32k or 48k but if you look at how much resin it has, it will be 1 or 1.5.

The Rainsoft man told you "10"? That could be the hardness (10 grains per gallon). So a 30k unit set at the min salt setting would get 1000 gallons between regen (cleaning cycles).

Get the water tested and lets us know how many people are in the family. We can size one up for you.

Old 02-08-09, 10:56 AM
J
How good are those test kits sold at Home Depot for $9.99? I am going to get one today and tset the water.

Right now there are 5 adults in the house but that is temporary. Both my daughters and one boy friend will be staying with us till they find a place. Once they are out it will be just me and my wife. We have a 3 bedroom 2 bath house.

I need to dig some more in the back yard and then I'm off to Home Depot for the test kit. I will post the results in 2 or 3 hours.

Thanks
Jim

Old 02-08-09, 01:01 PM
J
I just finsihed the water test using Pro-Lab test kit from Home Depot.

PH = 7.5
Total Alkalinity = 120
Total Chlorine = .2
Iron = 0 (test strip did not change color)
Copper = 0 (test strip did not change color)
Nitrate = 0 (test strip did not change color)
Nitrite = (test strip did not change color)
Total hardness = 50-120

As for the total hardness it was hard to read because the color on the test strip was inbetween the colors on the chart.

I have a pool test kit that tests hardness and with that test kit I came up with 80ppm. If I remember right I take the 80ppm and divide by 17.1 to get GPG. So the GPG would be 4.67. Also I used my pool test kit to check PH and I got 7.4 and the alkalinty was 110. So the results of the Pro-Lab test was close to the test I did with the pool test kit.

Is it normal to have 0 for Iron, Copper, Nitrate and Nitrite?

Thanks Again

Jim

Old 02-08-09, 02:55 PM
A 30k unit will be good for your home. I would use a Fleck 5600meter demand system.

Old 02-08-09, 05:03 PM
G
Generic residential control valve types

Of the generic valves, Fleck is by far my favorite.
Our company manufactures residential using many generic valves as well as highly-customized verisons of the Fleck and Erie platforms. I personally detest the Autotrol residential valves and while the Clack is on the surface a good valve, I find them too noisy as well as restrictive on programming profiles. Clack is a great company though, and they do stand by their product.

Originally Posted by jbfoster View Post
I want to get a water softener but I'm on a small budget. I was going to buy the GE model from Home Depot but after reading this forum it sounds like a bad idea.

I read in another post about the Fleck, Autotrol, and Clack. Which one would you guys recomend? Does anyone know of any pros and cons of each system?

I had Rainsoft come out but I just about dropped dead when he said $5900 plus $695 install for their system. He tested my water and said it was a 10 not sure what that means. I will need to have my water tested. I was looking to spend around $500 to $600. I will be installing it myself. I have been doing apartment maintenance for the last 20 years so the install should not be that hard for me. Today I started digging a trench from the back yard spicket to the front of the house where the water main comes in so I will have city water for my yard. I thought about using potasium but its $26 a bag and salt is $4.49 a bag.

I'm sure once I get my water tested I can figure out the size I need. I just don't know the differences between the different water softeners.

Any help would be great.

Thanks everyone
Jim

Old 02-08-09, 09:49 PM
J
I will be purchasing a Fleck system. I am looking at the Fleck 5600SXT On Demand 40,000 Grain for $529 and the Fleck 7000SE On Demand 40,000 Grain for $509.

What is the difference between these two systems?

The 5600SXT has the option of a 1 Inch Threaded Plastic Connection or 1 inch Stainless Steel Threaded Connection for the bypass. Which would be better plastic or stainless steel? The softener will be located in the garage.

Should I upgrade to C-249 Resin 1.25 Cu. Ft. for an extra $37.50?

Thanks Again
Jim

Old 02-09-09, 12:57 AM
I don't like electronics on water softeners. Seen too many bad things. As far as the resin, c-249 is the best resin made IMO.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: