Help buying water softener

Old 02-17-09, 10:56 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help buying water softener

I am in the process of looking to buy a water softener and looking for opinions and recommendations. I had a water test done and have:

Total Hardness - 513.60 MG/L (which I think works out to 30 Gr/Gal)
Calcium Hardness - 376.64 MG/L
Magnesium Hardness - 136.96 MG/L
Sulfur - Not detected
Sulfates - 21.0 MG/L
Chlorides - 42.0 MG/L
Iron - Not detected
Manganese - Not detected
PH - 7.06

I have some guys coming out tomorrow night to probably give me a hard sale. They left bottles hanging on everyones mail boxes in the area, promoting "free" drinking water tests. I also put in phone call to a local softener guy to see what he has.

I can do the install myself, just not to sure about the setup or how big of a unit I need. There are two adults and two children (5 and 3 y/o) living in the house. I'm going to call around and see about buying a unit locally, but if you know of some good deals on the internet I would buy from there.

Thanks
Rob

Old 02-17-09, 05:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You don't say if it's city water or private well. I would reccommend a 45k Fleck 5600 metered demand system. You should be able to find one for under $800.00. If you have city water, I would reccommend looking into a chlorine removal system as well.

Old 02-17-09, 06:07 PM
R
It is a private well, a dug well.

I spoke with the local guy on the phone tonight, based on the numbers I gave him (he would come out and do some testing also, but was just giving me a rough idea right now) he recommends/sells an Autotrol 268 valve 32,000 with SR1 resin. It's $950 metered and $850 unmetered, includes installation.

I'll find out tomorrow night what the other guys say.

Old 02-17-09, 11:11 PM
That's a real good price. The Autotrol valve is also good. I just don't like electronics on a water softener. Also, the size is ok, but you will get better salt efficiency with a 1.5 cf unit. All in all, that would be a good deal.

Old 02-18-09, 04:52 PM
R
Yep, should had listened to my gut and not sent in the "free" water test or set up the appointment. The guy went over his 45 min speel and tried to sell me a water conditioner for $6298. But if I signed up today it would only cost me $4768!!!! Good only for today, at this very moment.

I should say he was a nice guy, trying to make a living. I just don't like salesmen. Even if I was interested he lost my sale when he told me I had iron in my water. Even though I had a professional water test done that showed no iron, and no stains on any fixtures.

I was just expecting a guy to recommend a water softener, what we needed, sizing, ect. Not a whole big water conditioning product. He couldn't even leave us with a brochure to look at and think it over, because each one is "custom made" in the factory.

Oh wait, he just called again (30 min after he left) and said he just spoke to the factory and they have a demo unit he could sale me for $3500.

Old 02-18-09, 05:15 PM
A
Was that Rainsoft, by any chance?

Old 02-18-09, 05:28 PM
R
I think it is just a local company in Central NY, no brand names were mentioned.

Old 02-18-09, 06:40 PM
LOL. That's Rainsoft tactics. If he wasn't selling Rainsoft, he use to work for them.

Old 02-18-09, 06:49 PM
A
Originally Posted by rjels View Post
I think it is just a local company in Central NY, no brand names were mentioned.
You 'think' it's a local company. Wow, he sure was asking a lot of you and not explaining much! It's good you walk away from that one.

Old 02-18-09, 07:59 PM
R
Well, I know the name of the company he worked for, but he made it sound like they build there own conditioners. But maybe they just take parts and pieces from major companies and build it from those. He never did say he was selling Rainsoft products or was a Rainsoft distributor.

This might give it away, he said if I give them four referrals (after purchasing a conditioner) I could get free soap and cleaning products for 5 years.

Old 02-18-09, 08:36 PM
A
Bingo! If it walks like a duck....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: