"Iron Out" Really Work???

Old 02-18-09, 01:58 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"Iron Out" Really Work???

Was looking at the back of a container of Iron Out we bought several years ago and was wondering if it can be used with success in our softening system as suggested on the label? We have fluctuating iron issues and I have to adjust the chemical feed system manually and every now and then some iron slips through. Would using Iron Out with the salt help the resin be more efficient at catching any residual iron? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-18-09, 04:26 PM
A
Before anyone can give you advice, it would be good to describe your situation more clearly. You say you have a chemical feed system, Well there are dozens of such systems out there.

What kind of softener do you have? well pump? retention system? water conditions at the well? Hardness? Iron? TDS? Sulfides? Pipe size? Valve type.....etc....

Pictures would help. If you have a hard time understanding the set up, just describe it in a reader's digest version and someone will help you figure it out.

Does iron work? yes it makes me sneeze and cough for about 45 minutes.... No, it has its function but can be misused badly, as well.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Last edited by AndyC; 02-18-09 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-18-09, 06:43 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I use it on 90% of my clients softeners. Yes it works and works well. Salt does not clean all the iron from the resin. The iron out does that.

Old 02-19-09, 05:05 AM
S
I have thoroughly explained our system several times in other threads, but never had any replies and just didn't want to explain all that again. I'll find previous threads I posted and will provide a link. Later!

Old 02-19-09, 04:13 PM
S
Here's a breakdown of our system. Water was tested by our local Rainsoft dealer. PH was 5.8, iron at the time was 3 ppm, but it fluctuates with high water usage and large amounts of rain, hardness at 3 grains per gallon I think. Main issue was iron and PH. They suggested one of 2 options. First and cheapest was iron filtration. Second was a chem feed system and that was selected based on the fluctuating iron. Consists of a 120 gallon retention tank, 2 chem feed pumps mounted to 15 gallon tanks. 1 contains alum for iron flocculation. The other tank is used for caustic (PH boost) and bleach (iron oxidation and disinfection, not necessary, but is required in this state). The pumps are manually controlled, not for pulse speed, but pulse volume only. I use the same amount of caustic and bleach foor each fillup, but the alum changes because of iron fluctuation. Sometimes there is only a hint of it (maybe 1/2ppm) and sometimes it can reach 10ppm or more easily. After the water leaves the retention tank it is sent through a Hysulex carbon filter, then through a softener (we already had it in place anyway) and then through a large wholehouse filter to catch any residual iron. About 80% of the year this system works great and requires maybe 30 minutes of maintenance weekly (refilling the chem tanks, flushing the retention tank, etc.) but when we have massive amounts of rain it does stir the water up alot with ferrous iron. Our property has large iron deposits and we were told the well was probably drilled through some of those pockets and as the water table changes (through rain and daily usage) it absorbs that iron and makes its way through our system.

One option would be to install an iron sensing probe of some sort, a pump with a speed control, etc. but then we'd still be using alum from here on out. First step IMO is to have a video inspection done of the well and see if lining all the way down might eliminate the iron altogether. Later!

Old 02-19-09, 08:59 PM
That is a puzzling problem. All I can think of is to monitor the chlorine residual. When the iron goes up, the residual will go down. Try to maintain the residual through out the year. The chlorine will oxidize the iron. When the residual is low, the iron will pass.

Old 02-20-09, 12:34 PM
M
cleaning culligan medalist

This is my first time on this site. I couldn't find a way to post a question, so tried Reply. I've had my Culligan Medalist Seies water softener since March 2003 and never serviced it. My wife thinks the water is not as soft as it used to be. I'd like to try cleaning it myself. I let it run down to about a foot from the bottom. The water is a dark color. The instructions for cleaning don't look very complicated. Should I replace the salt plate and if using iron out is advised, where can I buy it, and where do I add it?

Old 02-20-09, 12:47 PM
Unless the salt plate is broken up into little pieces, it does not have to be replace. As for the iron out, you should be able to find it at the super market in the cleaning isle. It's red letters in a white bottle. Says "Super Iron Out".

Old 02-20-09, 01:38 PM
M
iron out

Is it added to the salt tank or to the resin in the mineral tank?

Old 02-20-09, 03:43 PM
You use it in the salt tank. The instruction on the back will tell you how to use it for the first time and for repeated use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: