Kenmore Demand Water Softener ERR01 and keeps going

Old 03-14-09, 04:25 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Demand Water Softener ERR01 and keeps going

I have a Sears Kenmore Demand Water Softener model number 625.348491 (purchased in 2001) that is giving me the ERR01 error code. I've disassembled the valve and it appeared to be a slightly brown on one side, but didn't seem like that it was being blocked in any way. I inspected the gaskets and they all appear to be intact.

What is odd is that the gear appears to keep going and going and going. Is it supposed to stop at some point to allow for a process? Or is the error code telling the motor to keep going?

I also noticed that another thread recommended replacing the gaskets. Should I go ahead with this service?

Thanks much!
Jersey Chris

Old 03-14-09, 07:22 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Each notch in the gear represents one portion of the regen cycle. If the motor does not stop at each notch, then the mirco switch, the wiring harness or the face plate is bad.
KENMORE | Model #625388280 | WATER SOFTENER | SearsPartsDirect.com
This link will show you the manual for your unit. There is a way for the face plate to show you if the micro switch is being detected by the face plate.

Old 03-14-09, 08:44 PM
C
Thanks! I have my manual.

I'm seeing only dashes on the display that should indicate position. I'm going to order a "wire harness (switch)", as it's referred to in the manual, and see if that's the problem. It's a relatively inexpensive part and sounds like a good place to start.

Thanks very much.
Jersey Chris

Old 03-15-09, 08:56 AM
If it's only showing dashes, either the micro switch or the harness are bad. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Old 03-16-09, 08:07 PM
C
Thanks much. I've ordered the harness and switch. I'll let you know how things work out.

Old 03-17-09, 09:45 AM
G
Normally when you have Err01 error code, it motor is the motor that is bad. The plastic gears in the motor is gone bad from too much torque in rotating the rotary valve. You would also need to change the seals and rotor to reduce the torque. One way to check the torque is manually turn the rotor using the cam (with the motor removed) through all the cycles. If you can turn it with hand without too much effort, then it is OK. Otherwise seals and rotor change will be required. For a Sears unit in service from 2001, it is time for change.

Old 03-25-09, 10:38 PM
C
Just wanted to let you guys know that I replaced the switch and the wiring harness, based on the information you gave me regarding only seeing dashes on the controller display. As I was removing the switch, one of the contacts simply fell off, solidifying the fact that there was a problem with the switch. Upon installation, no error code reappeared and the softener happily went through its sequence and is now fully functional.

My next step is to contact Sears and request a refund for the "service" call that cost me $75 and was nothing more than a waste of my time. If *I* could see the dashes on the display and find out what that meant, surely it was an indicator on what was wrong and he could have easily replaced the switch or harness in an attempt to remedy the problem, but that wouldn't make Sears any money. Instead he lied to me and told me that the controller was bad and I should just replace the whole unit since the controller was about $300 and a whole new unit was only $100 more. There's no way in hell that controller costs $300 to make, but if that's the way Sears want to try to push its customers into buying unnecessarily, I'll avoid them next time.

Thanks, everyone, for the help!
Peace!

Old 03-26-09, 08:54 AM
I've contracted from Sears to fix their water treatment equipment and have found that they really don't know how to fix the units. Glad you were able to fix it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: