Rebedding A Hysulex.......

Old 03-25-09, 06:25 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rebedding A Hysulex.......

Anybody here have any experience with Hysulex carbon filters? Ours is a little over 4 years old, regenerates every other night and I'm wondering if it might benefit from a rebedding. Our local Rainsoft dealer knows very little about it and they installed it. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-09, 12:51 AM
C
Originally Posted by shadow745 View Post
Anybody here have any experience with Hysulex carbon filters? Ours is a little over 4 years old, regenerates every other night and I'm wondering if it might benefit from a rebedding. Our local Rainsoft dealer knows very little about it and they installed it. Thanks in advance.
The Carbon in a Hysulex last quite a long time, everytime it regenerates it scrapes new surface areas for VOC's to attach to before the next regeneration. I worked for Ecowater Systems, and my time there (5.5yrs), I had not replaced the GAC media in any of my softeners and filters.
The first thing to do it check if the filter is releasing carbon on a backwash, this will indicate if the carbon has been depleted, causing the carbon to be too light to stay in the tank.
If you are able to depressurize the unit and remove the head, you would probably be able to see if your carbon has turned to fines or has been depleted. The tank should have a Min. of 2/3 of the talk full of media... and the granules should not be mushed. Be sure of course that you have a by-pass to shut off the water supply to the media filter!

Hope this helps with any concerns. If you are not getting anywhere with your local salesman, you are more then able to call the tech support at the factory... They can direct you to the RIGHT answers to your problems, and since they do not rely on commission for every call, they will HELP you!

Old 04-21-09, 11:55 AM
S
Hey thanks alot for that post. I've searched many times online and have found very little info on the Hysulex. I do know that our dealer said it (media) should last 3-5 years depending on conditions.

For the last 4 years it was regenerating every other night. To help make sure nothing is clogged up I have had it backwashing every night for the last week or so. Guess this won't hurt anything.

Maybe a year or so ago I did shut off both valves to it and removed the plug near the top. All I remember seeing was water and some sort of media.

I was thinking of having my local dealer do this process (replacing the media) the first time so I'd know what they're doing. Then down the road I could buy the media and do it myself. Is it time consuming/difficult? Thanks again. Later!