Softener or Carbon filter first in line?

Old 04-10-09, 07:12 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Softener or Carbon filter first in line?

Hello,

We are in the process of building a new home and the discussion we are having with different folks leaves us confused. Some say to put the Carbon whole house filter first in front of the softener and others say to put the softener first in line to lengthen the life of the carbon filter. What are the pros and cons or should there only be one way to set this up. Thanks for any help.

Old 04-10-09, 07:25 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It's said that with the carbon first, you run the risk of growing bacteria in the softener. Having the softener first, the chlorine will degrade the resin. I've always put the carbon first and have had no problems. The carbon is cheaper to replace and will protect the seals in the softener.

Old 04-11-09, 07:26 AM
M
I should add that we will be on city water so not as hard as well water but just hard enough to have a softener. Thanks for the reply Bier

Old 04-11-09, 03:52 PM
A
Originally Posted by munch7707 View Post
Hello,

We are in the process of building a new home and the discussion we are having with different folks leaves us confused. Some say to put the Carbon whole house filter first in front of the softener and others say to put the softener first in line to lengthen the life of the carbon filter. What are the pros and cons or should there only be one way to set this up. Thanks for any help.
On city water, put the filter first. I have a mix of KDF media and GAC carbon in my refillable housing. It last about one year befor eth chlorine starts to leak through. You flow rate, ppm in chlorine, and number of gallons will help to select the right size.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: