Fleck 9100SXT vs Kinetico Model 50

Old 04-17-09, 08:51 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Fleck 9100SXT vs Kinetico Model 50

I'm trying to decide between these two softeners. THe price difference is only 209.00, with Fleck being the cheaper one.

The catch is i have to install the Fleck ($891) myself and it comes with 5 yr warr on the valve and 10 on the tanks. In addition to this, i have to purchase a seperate carbon cartridge and filter (i think about $100).

The kinetico is refurb ($1100) and will not come with any warranty, but i like the reliability on them. The $ includes install along with a free carbon cartridge/filter. Dealer says this should only be a temp solution (because of tight funds) since filters need to be replaced monthly.

Can anyone provide any personal experience or reliability history on the Fleck 9100 SXT? I have seen stories of kinetico all over the web, all positive with the exception of one.

Thanks for any help!!

Old 04-17-09, 08:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a reason the Kinetico does not come with a warranty. I would stay away from that one unless they offered a warranty. As far as twin tanks, Why do you need soft water 24/7?

Old 04-17-09, 09:06 AM
M
Based on what i have read online, i understand that dual tanks are more efficient at using up salt/potassium than single tanks.

We currently have WS in our home (Ionics) that needs to be replaced (leaky piston, carbon/resin replacement, etc.) I have been using salt and i have come to learn that this is actually breaking down our pipes, which explains the corrosion that comes out of our pipes each time we run a faucet or the bathtub. A plumber recommended that i use potassium instead of salt. However, potassium costs more, hence, the need to have a system that efficiently uses salt/potassium.

I understand the there is a fine mesh-resin that also increases salt efficiency but i am not sure if this alone would help my situation or if a dual tank is actually better or if i should do both (dual tank and fine mesh resin).

Any ideas?

The reason there is no warr on the kinetico is because is refurb. I have a friend who bought teh same model refurbed 10 years ago and he has had no problems whatsoever with it. I on the other hand have had multiple problems with my Ionics. I simply want to purchase a product that will stand a good chance of not having so many problems.

Old 11-08-09, 08:59 PM
J
marjnop

As an actively retired water treatment dealer I can state that the best softener made is a Braswell. They have been in business for eons and are still going strong. Their website is Braswell Water Quality - Home. Perhaps they can help you find an authorized dealer in your area.

I attest to the fact that I can have any water softener made today installed in my home and I chose a Braswell.

Regarding the Fleck unit or the Kinetico; Don't buy ANY water conditioning unit that is not warranted and guaranteed to perform. That is a crap shoot! If the Kenetico dealer believes in his product he will guarantee it regardless of whether the factory will or not. My personal choice, if I had to make one, would be the Fleck unit as parts and service can be found nearly everywhere with reasonable prices.

Fleck valves are manufactured in the USA by Pentair. Here is their web site: Home

You are correct when you state dual tank units are more efficient. They clean the resin bed during regeneration better than single tank units because they use softened water to do so resulting in greater efficiencies. Single tank units "generally" use raw water and diluted brine to do so. In addition dual tank units use brine that is made from soft water in the salt tank. You will save money over time on salt and water costs with a dual tank unit compared to a single tank unit.

If you find my information to be helpful and need additional information I would be happy to help where I can. Please reply to this post or email me johngeorge6000@yahoo.com.

Best of luck to you.

Peace
johngeorge

Old 11-09-09, 11:46 AM
S
The question will be do you NEED the carbon cartridge filter? I always my customers that the large selling feature of Kinetico - they don't use electricity - is far outweighed by them installing filters that need changed every 2 months or so. You will pay 10X more for filters every year than you would for electricity to run a Fleck valve. A Fleck doesn't need a cartridge filter in front of it, it is made to handle a fair amount of sediment/particulate.

If you are using carbon cartridges to remove some hydrogen sulfide from the water then any softener is going to need it. If it is only a small amount you are removing I would install the cartridge on the OUTLET of the Fleck unit as it will last longer if it isn't filtering iron as well. I'm guessing the Kinetico probably requires some type of filter on the INLET side (most do that I have seen) so keep the filter costs in mind when buying the unit.

Also when comparing the difference between single tank and twin tank units the question is the up front cost difference. If you can get a 9100 Fleck unit for $900 then you are getting a good deal and it would be tough to beat that. If you can get a single tank unit for $500 though then how long will it take you to repay $400 in salt savings from the marginally more efficient twin tank unit?

Old 11-09-09, 02:05 PM
A
Originally Posted by marjonp View Post
I'm trying to decide between these two softeners. THe price difference is only 209.00, with Fleck being the cheaper one.

The catch is i have to install the Fleck ($891) myself and it comes with 5 yr warr on the valve and 10 on the tanks. In addition to this, i have to purchase a seperate carbon cartridge and filter (i think about $100).

The kinetico is refurb ($1100) and will not come with any warranty, but i like the reliability on them. The $ includes install along with a free carbon cartridge/filter. Dealer says this should only be a temp solution (because of tight funds) since filters need to be replaced monthly.

Can anyone provide any personal experience or reliability history on the Fleck 9100 SXT? I have seen stories of kinetico all over the web, all positive with the exception of one.

Thanks for any help!!
You didn't mention if the Kinetico was being sold be a Kinetico dealer or someone else. I find it very strange that it doesn't include any assurance of it working...not even 30 days?

What are your water conditions? Test results? I assume you are on city water, right? Depending n the water conditions and the amount of chlorine in the water supply, and the amount of water you use, AND the size of the carbon filter, it may last much longer than a couple of months, or just a few weeks.

The Fleck vale is a good valve. With installation and pre-filter, the cost s going to be slightly higher. A twin-tank design is reliable and can provide excellent water for a long time. Did they tell you what size the tanks will be? It uses standard mesh resins.

I use a Kinetico 50 (cabinet model) in my house on city water (12gpg) which is chlorinated (approx 1.0ppm). I bought it 10 years ago and it was 11 years old (rebuilt) when I got it. Never misses a beat!

I use a refillable combo Carbon and KDF (two lbs.) filter and it lasts nerly one year before refill it. An upflow carbon filter (1 cuft or so) will be a good choice for dechlorination and will last many years. I would recommend a sediment filter before it though.

It is an upflow unit with fine mesh resins (if properly rebuilt) and has a very high efficiency rating. It has been discontinues by Kinetico and replaced with the 2040s OD model.

Kinetico is a great product. I support them when they are properly placed, set and maintained. But like anything, if it is not done right, then you can be chasing smoke. I would be happy to talk to the dealer and get the low-down on what they are offering.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: