No soft water

Old 04-23-09, 05:56 PM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No soft water

Hi,
I installed a used water softener the other day ( GE GXSF39B01- I know, I know ) My problem is that the softener goes through all the cycles the way it is suppose to: fills the salt tank, sucks up the brine ok, backwashes ok but in the end I get no soft water. I have taken it apart many times now and all the rings and seals look fine. I can not for the life of me figure out why it is not producing soft water. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 04-23-09, 06:03 PM
D
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its the resin inside the inner tank that does the softening. The salt cleans the resin beads of the 'hardness'. Is it possible that the resin is fouled/etc ? Most ppl here say to open up the resin tank (make sure its not under pressure!) and check the beads.. if they squish in your fingers then they're done. New resin is about $100 afaik.

Old 04-23-09, 06:35 PM
A
I thought the same thing about the resin beads and I did replace them 2 days ago.

Old 04-23-09, 09:21 PM
S
Put an additional "O" ring on the top of the riser pipe where the valve body connects to the riser pipe. GE, Kenmore, and whirlpool have a problem with hardwater by-pass at the top of the riser pipe. This should fix your problem. Dave

Old 04-23-09, 09:34 PM
D
Cool info skydogdave.

@anothony if ya dont mind me asking, where did you get your resin from. Im lookin for an online place in ontario (pref) to order up the 0.6 cuft I need. There's a coupla premium brands that the guys in here talk about.. they might be available only in the US though.

Old 04-23-09, 10:39 PM
A
Dave, it's funny you should mention that about the o-ring at the top of the riser because when I was taking it all apart a few days ago that o-ring was broke and I had replaced it. I will add another one and see if that solves my problem. Thanks

And

DavC72, I purchased my resin at a local store here in Brantford. The name escapes me but I will look it up and post it. The resin was made by Purolite. I don't think it was very high quality. It cost about $ 125.00 for 1 cubic foot.

Old 04-24-09, 09:57 AM
A
Skydogdave, thanks so much for your help. I put another o-ring on the top of the distributor, regenerated it and it works. I was about to give up on it. I read a lot of information on repairs to water softeners but you were the first to mention this problem, so again thanks a lot.

and DavC72

The name of the store I purchased the resin is called " the pure water store " but you can buy resin at just about any place that sells softeners.

Old 05-17-09, 10:15 PM
D
Follow up..
I finally did mine today.. was able to get the resin tank out of the brine tank, so that made life alot easier for cleaning it all out.
WRT the o-rings.. I cant figure out if I actually needed a riser tube to valve body oring. The manual showed one, so I bought one. There was no existing one though, when I took it apart.
The resin tank is sealed to the top distrib by one ring, and the top distrib is sealed to the valve body by another large oring. I guess the risertube oring prevents short-circuiting the flow across the inlet/outlet flows to the tank ? I had to stretch the new oring to go on the outside of the riser tube.. maybe there was a design change somewhere..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: