Which kinetico softener is better for me?

Old 05-06-09, 12:27 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which kinetico softener is better for me?

Hi, I am trying to decide on a kinetico water softener.

My water test results were:
hardness 10 grains per gallon.
ph 7.4
TDS level 330
and iron is not a problem

The kinetico guy is giving me a choice of the Power Line 1040 Softener ($1700) or the Kinetico 2030 Softener ($2200).

I want to soften my water to remove radium. The 2030 is NSF certified to do that. The 1040 is not certified, but the kinetico guy assured me it would remove radium. He said they don't pay for certification on their lower end models.
I was wondering if anyone could explain to me about the differences in these 2 softeners?

I am also interested in their RO units. I've read about the merits of the Kinetico K5 on this forum. How does the Kinetico A200 RO compare with it? There is a $300 price difference between the 2, so I wanted to really understand why.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Old 05-06-09, 05:09 PM
A
Hello Jennifer,

What removes those contaminants is the resin media in the tanks. As long as that is tested, you can put it in any tank. Are you sure that you have radium in your water or have you just read about it somewehere?

Go for the 2030; it is a much better system. The 2030 is a non-electric, twin-tank system and is very efficient. It will provide endless treated water. There are many benefits with a twin tank design. Ge that one!

The 1040 is actually a Fleck valve the Kinetico uses as an optional system. It is a good valve with a long history of reliable service but, I believe, can't match the 2030 in performance.

The K5 is way ahead a lot better RO than the A200 (formally the K2). The A200 has no special features or benefits except the membrane warranty, which is two years (K5 has ten-year warranty).

If you read the other features and assocoated benefits then I don't need to repeat those, unless you wish. Didn't the sales rep go over that? For a few hundred dollars more, it is a big benefit for you in the long run.

I assume you are on well water, right?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 05-07-09, 07:44 AM
J
Hi Andy,
Thanks for your response.
Radium is a problem for the people in my neighborhood on the town well. The town is in the process of securing a new water supply free of these contaminants for these people.

I have a private well, though.
I had my water tested for gross alpha and gross beta because
to test for radium directly was very expensive, but the lab told me if I test for gross alpha and gross beta it would give an idea of the radiological contaminants in my water (and it was a much cheaper test)

The results were:
gross alpha 19.0+/-2.84
gross beta 15.3+/-0.88

Then the lab also tested for Uranium and the result was 7.9 ug/L

They said this satisfies the radionuclide rule requirements which I don't really understand. Do you know anything about it?

I do know that I have a radon problem, though, which comes from the natural breakdown of uranium. My water isn't that high in radon (3000pCi/L) but, my home has a radon mitigation system for the air.
Radium is formed when uranium decays in the environment.
This is why I want to make sure to remove radium from my private well.

Thanks for your advice on the 2030 and K5.
I just wish kinetico wasn't so expensive!

Jennifer

Old 05-13-09, 08:58 PM
M
Kinetico mach 2060s

Was wondering if someone could help me here?

Here is what I have.

5 ppm iron (4 ferric and 1 ferrous, I believe), 14 hardness, 5 ppm manganese, ph 7.1. My water is very clear, but there is a sulfur smell when the water is hot and cold.

I have just had a new water heater and softner installed.

I am wondering if a mach 2060s can take this out and give me clean water to have my family drink and take baths in.

my email address is mxhermosillo@gmail.com

Old 05-14-09, 09:10 AM
A
Originally Posted by markh103 View Post
Was wondering if someone could help me here?

Here is what I have.

5 ppm iron (4 ferric and 1 ferrous, I believe), 14 hardness, 5 ppm manganese, ph 7.1. My water is very clear, but there is a sulfur smell when the water is hot and cold.

I have just had a new water heater and softner installed.

I am wondering if a mach 2060s can take this out and give me clean water to have my family drink and take baths in.

my email address is mxhermosillo@gmail.com
Can you explain how you determined that amount of ferric iron? You say your water is clear from the faucet? Where does the ferric iron factor in? What kind of plumbing do you have?

A backwashing filter may be required ahead of any softener. There are many systems that will work well depending on flow rate, volume size of tank, frequency of backwashing and type of media.

No standard softener will be able to handle ferric iron. Because you have very high manganese, an oxidation/backwashing system may be required to handle that as well. You have problem water.

As is, a 2060 will not be enough to deal with you water issues as a stand alone.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: