Need Info On This Carbon Filter......

Old 06-08-09, 03:10 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Info On This Carbon Filter......

Have a 4 year old Rainsoft Hysulex carbon filter under our home as part of our treatment system. It isn't keeping time or regenerating on its own. I'm assuming it's probably the timer motor. Same thing happened to our Rainsoft softener several years back. Couldn't find a timer motor because they are (was told by them) proprietary to Rainsoft. Is this true?

Also might need to add new carbon beads to the tank. How is the best way to do this and where can I find this media? Or again... is this proprietary to them as well? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-09, 06:17 PM
G
Get the original high-quality components

Give Rainsoft a call or contact them online.
They have an excellent warranty.

Customer Service - Air Treatment & Water Softener Systems Information

Toll-Free: 1-800-RAINSOFT

RainSoft
2080 E. Lunt Avenue
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007
847-437-9400

Contact | Letters to RainSoft

Old 06-08-09, 06:48 PM
S
Yeah they do have a great warranty and we have already contacted the dealer that installed it. The timer motor will be covered, but they want $135 just for the service call and that includes the first hour. The quote they gave us for the media rebedding was alot as well, something like $350 and this was 1-1.5 years ago. I say that's bull.... I'll buy the parts and do it myself for alot less. And could care less if it voids the existing warranty. Thanks for your time to reply though. Later!

Old 06-08-09, 09:01 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
On the older Rainsoft models, they used an innermatic timer motor. Looks like a figure 8. Get the numbers off the motor, (amps, volts etc...) and look online at Grainger.com. Thats where I've brought them. As far as carbon, it can be found most anywhere.

Old 06-09-09, 09:57 AM
S
Thanks for the advice. The unit is a little over 4 years old and is Rainsoft's Silver Series. Will pull the cover to see exactly what motor it uses and go from there.

A few questions.... how do I determine exactly how much media is needed when buying it? Is changing it out a matter of simply disconnecting the unit and dumping the old media out of the filler hole, rinsing the tank out and pouring the new in?

And are there any specific courses I can take locally to repair these things and possibly be certified? Lots of people in our area have the same issue. Units needing repair but don't want to get ripped by Rainsoft and others. I'd like to learn much more so I can repair our own system and do it for others as well on the side as needed. Thanks again.

Old 06-09-09, 10:28 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The amount of media depends on the diameter of the tank. A 9" tank holds 1 cu ft of media. If the tank has a valve on top, the quickest way to empty and fill the media is to spin the valve off.
As far as courses, each state has a Water Quaility Association for that state or the WQA is for all the states.