Old water softener

Old 06-20-09, 04:12 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old water softener

I have an old water softener that is currently not being used. I want to get rid of it. The softenr crystals are corroding at the outside of the container. What doI need to be aware of when I remove this? I unscrewed one of the water lines not realizing water was still running through it and made quite a mess. Are there special caps I need to cap off the water lines? All comments appreciated.

Old 06-20-09, 05:15 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You should have some form of bypass piping installed, and Im guessing you already bypassed it ? The water that came out of the softener was the mainline water pressure that was still held in the resin tank (the inner tank). If you can catch the water somehow, it shouldnt amount to too much.. its not going to drain completely, just the static water pressure. You may get some more leaking out of the in/out pipes on the softener when you move it. It will be quite heavy, with the resin tank still full of resin and water.. probably a good idea to get a dolly.

If that doesnt seem to fit the situation, can you post a picture of the softener piping connection area ?

19mom57 voted this post useful.
Old 06-23-09, 09:46 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks...YOu refer to "in/out" pipes. I assume youre referring to the main water lines which hook directly to the water tank. Once I remove the tank from the water line I will have an open water line. However it looks like there is a shut off valve on the pipe connecting to the tank. Not quite sure. Is this normally the way theyre hooked up or is there a need to cap a water line?

Dave - Does this make sense?

Old 06-23-09, 08:53 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Its possible that someone may have cut out a section of original pipe, then just installed the softener into that gap (so to speak).
A softener goes 'in-line' , so if there is no bypass path somewhere you will have no water when you cap that supply line (the pipe that goes to the 'inlet' side of the softener).

If you follow your supply line from the water meter (or pump, if you're on a well), you may find a Tee with one side going to the softener. There should be a similar Tee connected to the outlet line of the softener. If there's a valve in between those Tees then open it up. Then there should be a valve on the line going to the softener and one on the line from the outlet of the softener. Close both of them. Then you should be able to remove the softener and if you want, cap the pipes. There will be some residual pressure in the softener tank and in those pipes. Not a lot. Maybe a pint of water ?

If you dont have the tees etc.. then all you have is that supply side shut-off valve. Shut that thing. If the house then has no water, you should cut the lines to/from the softener and join them together... then open the valve back up of course.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: