kinetico 4060S OD Macrolite

Old 06-26-09, 02:32 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
kinetico 4060S OD Macrolite advice

I have bought a kinetico 4060S OD Macrolite that is 5 yrs old. Price was right. It was hooked up at the time I bought it and the owner was moving. It had a pre filter and a 20 in post filter. I am not sure what the 20 in filter did. It has a #4 disk. It was hooked up to a well system.
I have city water.
13 gpg hardness
7.5 ph
.1787 iron
3 adults in the house
I did not get any manuals.
After I connect the system to my water supply, (replacing an existing softener that was 20 yrs old.) what do I need to do to calibrate the system. I will use the local dealer, but would like to have most of the work pre done to save on expense. Also, since I have the filters(canisters), would it be recommended to plumb them back inline when I install the system.
Is the only place to get a manual is through the dealer?
Is the only place to get filters through the deal?
Thanks to any help that can be provided.

Last edited by alwslrning; 06-26-09 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-27-09, 06:24 PM
A
The original owner had his unit on well water, right? The post filter was most likely a carbon filter.

The 4060 MAcrolite is designed for well water usage. It CAN be used on city water but the macrolite media is not all that needed on city water. I would recommend putting that 20" as a prefilter with a carbon filter to remove chlorine from municipal water supplies...if that is what they use.

What is the disk number in the lens on top of the valve. The slalt setting is at four pounds. Maybe all you need to do is change the disk to maximum efficiency.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 06-27-09, 10:56 PM
A
Thanks Andy,

The disk I believe to be a 4. Does it need to be changed? Is that how you change the salt setting? How much salt do I put in the brine tank? There does not appear to be any lines on the tank to show when to add salt or when it is full. There was a lot of rust in the pre filter, is there anything I should check because of that? What should I expect to pay for the pre and post filter?

Local dealer stated was a good deal and for the price I paid even if I had to have it reconditioned it was a bargain. How do I know if it needs to be reconditioned?

Old 06-28-09, 08:00 AM
A
A disk 4 will wor for a max of 20 grains and a disk 3 is designed for 15. You can keep the disk and it will work but it will be more efficient with a #3.

At only five years old, it should still last you decades. Water in the brine drum should raise about an inch or two above the grid plate. Keep enough salt in it too cover the water. Use a high quality (no iron out types) salt. Avoid solar and rock salts.

Are you saying that the rust in the prefilter was the condition you received it, or since you have installed it? It the lens on top clear or rusted up? If it is clear, you are doing OK.

The 4060 had two models carbon and Macrolite. It is not just a matter of switching one media for another. There are some technical differences and parts differences.

On city water unit we recommend carbon as the media to remove chlorine. Instead, use your 20" filter as the prefilter with a carbon block filter.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 06-28-09, 09:48 AM
A
Again, thanks Andy.

Rust was from well water. Disk is clear. So use the 20 in as the prefilter and discard the original 10 in prefilter? Is there any need for a post filter on city water? Thanks again, you have been very informative.

Old 06-28-09, 11:53 AM
A
You're welcome. Generally, no need for post filter unless there some unusual water quality concerns.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: