Ready to buy a softener - final advice needed

Old 07-06-09, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ready to buy a softener - final advice needed

I was on a while ago looking at this stuff, but life happened. Things have calmed down a little, and I'm ready to buy. Here's where I got before.

I did the shop around thing, went to stores, looked online and had various companies out to the house. As far as a product went I narrowed it down to either a Fleck valve (based on online reviews and what the guys who came to the house recommended), or a Kinetico system. From there, cost effectiveness has me leaning towards the Fleck. My plan is to see how much I could purchase one for online add the cost to have the guy who plumbed the house put it in for me, then see if any of the local companies can beat that.

My questions are concerned with getting the right size etc for my situation. And then finding the softener to match that. The numbers are below, I'd appreciate you guys advice, and any other comments.

Thanks, Steve..

Family of 6, (4 daughters!)
4.5 bath house.
City water.

Water test results. (ppm where appropriate)

Sodium 133.9
Iron 0.06
Fluoride 0.16
Chloride 29.2
Nitrates 0.03
Sulphates 1.1
Phosphates 0.28
pH 7.25
Hardness 106.2
Residue(sediment) 0.26

Old 07-06-09, 11:49 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
A 1 cu ft Fleck 5600 Metered Demand system will regen about every 7 days using about 32 lbs of salt a month. The unit should cost about $650.00 and the upkeep will be less than $4.50 a month. Not bad at all. (That is provided that the hardness listed is in ppm not gpg).

Old 07-06-09, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, hardness is in ppm (100 gpg would be crazy hard wouldn't it?).

I'd be interested to know where people have had good experiences buying their units from?

Steve..

Last edited by 2manykids4a7; 07-06-09 at 04:42 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: