GE Water Softener not working

Old 07-07-09, 12:00 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Water Softener not working

I have a two month old GE water softener, model number GXSF30H. It worked perfectly right when I installed it, then recently it just quit producing soft water.

I went through all of the diagnostics in the manual, and nothing helps. The flow turbine works fine, the venturi and screen is clean, the motor cycles the valve properly. When it regenerates, the brine tank fills about 1/4 of the way with water, then during the brine cycle, the water level goes back down the way it's supposed to. It then backwashes and rinses properly.

The salt is not bridged - the salt level has been going down, and is now low enough I can see the water in the salt during the brine cycle.

I tried increasing the hardness level slowly, over several days, up to 80, and I still don't have soft water. When I installed it, the hardness level was set at 45, and it was almost too soft.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

I can call GE for service, but I work a lot of hours, and I don't want to take time off work to meet a serviceman that will just try to sell me a bunch of parts.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 07-07-09, 09:05 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It could be the sealing point between the valve and distributor tube. To check, bypass the unit. Put into a cycle and wait for the pressure to drop (water stops running). Disconnect the bypass from the unit. Pop the clips holding the valve to the tank and remove. There should be a o ring on the distributor tube (center of the upper basket). If the o ring is missing, the water will simply run in then out of the unit without going through the resin. All other functions will work properly. If the o ring is laying in the upper basket, the distributor has to be replaced.

Old 07-10-09, 06:03 PM
D
Thanks for the suggestion, biermech. I took the whole valve assembly apart today, and everything seems to be fine. The o-ring you mentioned was not in the basket - it was still on the center tube. The valve appeared fine - the thing looked like brand new. All o-rings were in their proper places, and in good shape.

As I said earlier, it re-generates just fine, and the brine does go thru the resin. It just doesn't produce soft water. But it DID when I installed it, then it just stopped, and the water is hard again.

I'm lost. This isn't rocket science. I'm very mechanically inclined, and I fully understand how this thing is supposed to work. It's like someone stole all of the resin out of it. lol

Any other suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-11-09, 06:12 AM
The only other thing would be the resin. If the unit cycles properly, draws brine and the sealing point is good, check the resin.

Old 07-23-09, 02:41 PM
D
The resin is what I was thinking. But what could go wrong with it?

How does one check it, and what should I be looking for?

For what it's worth, I went on vacation for a week, and when I got back, the water was slightly softer - but not nearly what it should be. Would sitting for a week with no water flowing through the resin make it work better?

I'm lost here......

Old 07-23-09, 02:57 PM
Resin works on exchange. Water passes through and the hardness ions replace sodium on the resin. When the unit goes through a regen, the sodium now replces the hardness ions on the resin. Iron will foul resin. If the unit is not set up for the proper hardness, you will get hard water before a regen. To check resin, get a sample and squeeze it between your thumb and forefinger. If the resin smaches up. it's bad. Did you get a water test done? If not, get a hardness and iron test and post the results.

Old 08-27-09, 01:32 PM
D
Thank you for your help, Biermech.

Sorry for the long delay in getting back to you.

I had a water test done, and my water hardness is 80, iron is 30-40. I see these are much higher than I thought. The water company I had come out called it "Jesus water". They said if it was any harder, you could walk across it!

The sulfur was at 7 when I bought my house about 7 years ago. Now it has dropped down to .5.

I already treat my water using a hydrogen peroxide injection system, before it goes into the softener. So I was told that that would help take care of some of the hardness and iron as well. Is that true?

I also took your advice and examined the resin. It appeared to be packed kind of tight.... so I used a stick to loosen it up a bit, and I got a sample. It was dark red, and gritty, like sand. It had a slight "slimyness" to it - not squishy, just felt slimy, like very soft water, only gritty. Does that make sense?

I treated the softener with Super Iron Out, and it did help some... I'm currently treating it again. I'm hoping I can salvage the resin.

The size of my softener is 30,000, and the water company I had come out tried to sell me a 60,000. They said my 30,000 was too small. Is that true? There's only two adults living in my home - me and my girlfriend, and we really don't use that much water.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 08-27-09, 07:28 PM
With that much iron, it's a wonder you even use the water. Will turn everything orange. The hardness (80), is that ppm or gpg. Big difference. Your softener is way too small. No way could it handle that much iron. If the hardness is at gpg, again the softener is too small.
If the resin smashes up, you will be able to notice. They are tiny beads and when they break, it's easy to tell. The resin can also be fouled by the iron, but won't smash up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: