Kinetico Para-flo 60 filter

Old 07-14-09, 02:00 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kinetico Para-flo 60 filter

Hey all,
When we purchased our house it had a Kinetico water softener and iron filter in it. I tried to get the local Kinetico dealer to fix the system and educate me on how it works, after a big pile of money on repairs that never helped for long I gave up.
We installed a water softener from a local home improvement store, the water is soft but is brown from iron. The kinetico system had a 2 tank para-flow 60 filter that never seemed to work right, the water has been brown since we bought the house.
What I would like to do is use the Kinetico filter in the line before the softener. I removed the tops of the 2 tanks and inside the material looks kind of like coffee grounds, black and very fine textured. When the Kinetico rep stopped by he said I had to take the small plastic hose and put it in a gallon of bleach, cycle the system and it sucks the bleach up into the tank. I guess I need to find out what the media is in the tank, I will replace the media if necessary.
I was hoping someone here could give me some pointers to get the iron filter useable, any hints ot tricks would be appreciated!

Info--
Well water with a lot of iron, don't have the numbers here but it was off the color chart on the high side.
The kinetico system has the 2 softener tanks, 2 of the filter tanks, one single tall tank with an air bleed on top and the brine tank.
If any other information is needed just let me know!
Thanks!
Roy Beer 4U2

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-09, 09:02 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Understanding what your working with is the first hurdle. The media in 2060f can be Carbon, Macrolite (ceramic) or Calcite (but not likely).

The second thing is to determine your water quality. Make sure you have an accurate iron and hardness test. pH and dissolved solids may also be important.

If your iron is all ferrous iron, then a properly sized softener can handle it...to a degree. If it is ferric iron, then an iron filter will be required.

Try get those tests done and get back with us.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II