Regenerate Carbon filters

Old 08-16-09, 08:47 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Regenerate Carbon filters

I had a whole house water softener system installed a couple of months ago and it is working fine except for one issue. I have a low (but noticeable) amount of hydrogen sulphide from my well.
I have an activated carbon filter inline after the resin tank and it does completely remove the smell when the filter is new. The problem is that the first filter I used was a cheapo $8 carbon filter and it only lasted three days. I replaced it with a $20 filter and that lasted about three weeks. The problem is the $20 filters. Either I need to find a cheaper source for the filters or I need to figure out how to regenerate the filter to extend it's life.
I tried pulling the filter and soaking it in a warm baking soda solution for an hour. That actually worked but only for about three days, then the smell was back.
Next I tried pouring a mild bleach solution through the filter (not as easy as it sounds). So far it has been five days and no smelly water.
Any ideas, comments, or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-09, 04:41 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Buy a tank of carbon with a backwashing valve. You have an upfront cost with very little maintenance vs low upfront cost in the filters but a lot of maintenance.

Old 08-24-09, 09:46 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Agree.... I'd buy a whole house unit filled with carbon media that will backwash itself as needed. I think I'd also put this filter before the softener, not after it...... might help your softener work more efficiently. Later!