Water Softener vs. Whole House Filter

Old 08-17-09, 08:45 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water Softener vs. Whole House Filter

I have been reading a lot on both of these products. How do I know what I need? Is one better than the other or do I need both?

Old 08-17-09, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
No expert..but since I'm here....

The first thing you need is a professional water test on your supply. There are any number of labs you can send it to..your county extension office or health dept should be able to tell you a few.

If you've been reading...then you probably know the basics. Here's the way I understand them.

Filters will remove large solids and sediment, carbon filters will also remove some odors and tastes caused by chemicals. Softeners chemically remove disolved solids that can't be taken out purely by filtration.

Anyway..I'm sure one of the Pro's will correct and clarify my statements..but I know I'm right about the water test...lol. Get the test and explain why you think you need some sort of system and they will be glad to advise you.

Old 08-17-09, 01:06 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
A whole house filter will be low cost up front, but have alot of maintenance (changing the filter) and ongoing cost. It also has a limited filtration. A media can be used to remove the impurities you desire, backwashed and reused for a longer period of time. The upfront cost is more, but the maintenance and ongoing cost is a lot lower. It will have a better filtration because of the amount of media is a lot more. So, it's like the old saying "pay me now or pay me later".

Old 08-30-09, 01:54 PM
T
We have a whole house filter, and changing it every month is expensive ($30+ per filter), and it is a pain. The filter is in the basement of our two story farmhouse, and we have to drain the supply lines before changing the filter. Then cleaning the filter housing, etc etc, and it takes 30+ minutes. We can't wait to move to a different system, and are speaking with different vendors now.

Old 08-31-09, 05:38 PM
W
Thomas,

Why not install an open-close value on each side of the filter.

Closing the filter output side valve will keep you from having to drain the house supply line.

I would also think that installing another valve on the filter's input side would keep you from having to shut-off the pump.

I'm no expert, just a thought.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: