Ionics IQ series -need HELP!!

Old 08-25-09, 09:26 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Ionics IQ series -need HELP!!

I have an Ionics IQ series water filter/softener system in my house. When it regenerates, it puts out brown water. If I let the water run for 5-10 minutes, the water becomes clear. This problem happened a while back after I mistakenly put salt and potassium in the softener together. I didn't put any more salt(only) in it until this last week. It then started the brown water again. What could be causing this? I am frustrated with this.
Please Help.
Thanks
Disciple144

Old 08-25-09, 10:53 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Are you on well water? If you have iron, the bed may be iron fouled and you need to add some iron out. If you are on city water, the carbon needs to be changed.

Old 08-26-09, 08:44 PM
D
I am on city water. How do you replace or change the carbon?

Old 08-26-09, 09:03 PM
You have to remove the drain flow control, put unit into a backwash cycle, and watch to make sure the resin does not come with it.

Old 08-27-09, 06:49 PM
D
Is this something that I, someone who knows only a little about this type of thing, be able to do? Do I need to buy anything extra to add?

Old 08-27-09, 07:42 PM
Follow the drain line to the unit. The hose connects to the drain housing. I believe the housing is held in place by a plastic u shaped clip. Pull the clip then pull the housing from the unit. The DLFC (drain line flow control) is in that housing. It's a rubber botton with numbers showing. Pull it out of the housing and replace housing onto the unit. Putthe drain line in a bucket and turn the unit to backwash. The carbon should come out first and if let run long enough, the resin will follow. The resin is tiny round beads where the carbon will look like black specks.

Old 08-27-09, 07:50 PM
D
Thank You for the help. How will I know when it is done? Is there anything I need to buy?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: