Is the $200.00/year extended Culligan warranty worth it?

Old 09-01-09, 02:50 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is the $200.00/year extended Culligan warranty worth it?

In 2006 I purchased a Culligan "10" in Gold Soft water unit and I am wondering if I should be paying $200.00 per year for full service warranty on top of the $100.00 unlimited salt charge per year...$300.00 in total. They say the warranty covers everything, even replacement of the unit, if it breaks down.

What are the chances of the unit breaking down?
Does anyone have any reliability stats?

Thanks,
David

Old 09-01-09, 05:04 PM
Y
Received 22 Upvotes on 21 Posts
I don't have a softener and/or extended service contract. BUT....there are insurance companies or warranty companies who will sell you a contract for less $$.

Google "extended service contracts" and "extended warranties" and you might find some possibilities. GE does this.

If you don't go with a long established company, check the ratings agencies of the questionable company. See who is the insurance company behind them. And the re-insurance company who is the backstop.

Weiss Ratings has the best and most honest ratings as they do not take money from the insurance companies.

Old 09-01-09, 07:42 PM
A
The salt deal is relative. If you calculate $0.14/lb of salt that is 714+ pounds of salt for $100.00, or about 60 lbs per month. Now if your hardness is more than 40 grains and you have 5 people--great deal. If your hardness is 20 grain and two people, chances are, they are making money. Is that delivered?

I'm always a little suspicious of extended warranties. For most appliances, it is free money for the company, and sometimes a commission for the salesperson. They offer it to you because it is to their advantage as they figure your breakdowns will be rare enough to collect more than their cost to repair, or even replace. Residual income is always great for a company

And the wording is very unusual. Does that include service, transport, and parts? Many warranties are parts replacement only after a period of time; service and other costs are extra. Get that well defined and in writing.

Now, this warranty is not from Culligan, Inc., but from the dealership. It will be there as long as the dealer is--if it is legitimate. Do you have a copy of the standard warranty from Culligan?

You may expect a quality softener to last 20 or more years. That would be $4000.00. I could only hope it breaks down a lot and requires much service to make you feel good about your decision. A bit of an oxymoron, isn't it?

Andy Chrstensen, CWS-II

Old 09-05-09, 09:45 AM
K
I work for Culligan. Andy is right, alot is based on the amount of salt you use and how much additional you are willing to spend for a piece of mind. If this is the Privilege Program, it includes up to 4 deliveries per year, meaning we will deliver and fill your salt barrel, may need two bags, may need 8. They frown on leaving additional bags. Based on the efficency of the new metered units, most will not exceed 32 bags per year. Also for the price you get an annual preventive maintenance service call with a resin refresh and brine tank sanitization and if your unit does malfunction, your service call, labor and parts are included. If Culligan cannot fix your unit, they will replace it with an equal or upgraded unt. When this program first came out, I was skeptical on both sides, consumers and concern for our business, but it has worked out well for both. Most extended warranties, you pay a $$ amount and get nothing, at least you are getting a service call and salt and for a few more $$ a piece of mind knowing you will not encounter a high $$ repair.Hope this helps, not trying to push the program, but it isn't to bad of a program.

Old 09-06-09, 06:44 AM
A
Originally Posted by KKDJ1005 View Post
I work for Culligan.
Welcome aboard. There are a lot of Culligan questions here. Are you in sales, service or deliveries?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: